Editor’s note: A previous version of this article mentioned that half of the residents researchers spoke to reported feelings of loneliness. That is not correct. The post has since been updated to address these concerns. The Charlatan deeply regrets the error.

A Carleton study is investigating whether a music program can reduce loneliness and social isolation in retirement homes.

The project began last fall, when Carleton partnered with Java Group programs and the Bruyère Centre for Learning, Research, and Innovation in Long-Term Care to receive a year-long grant for their research.

The study, dubbed the “Java Music Club,”  is a peer-to-peer support program that combines singing and sharing. Groups of eight to 10 residents gather for an hour each week with a facilitator, who guides the group with songs, questions, and photographs linked to the theme of the week.

Michelle Fleming, a research co-ordinator from Bruyère, said the music club is meant to encourage reminiscence, openness and emotional sharing in a peer-to-peer setting. The club emphasizes this by allowing residents to invite any other residents they think would like to join the group as a special guest, Fleming added.

“People often feel better supported by their peers,” she explained. “You feel much more understood when somebody who’s been through the same thing can talk to you about it.”

The study is examining three Riverstone communities with the Java Music Club in place and is comparing them with two retirement homes that do not have the program.

Renate Ysseldyk, a health sciences professor spearheading the study, and four Carleton graduate students are using observations, questionnaires, and cognitive assessments to measure the exact effects of the study.

Although Ysseldyk’s project is ongoing, Fleming said those involved believe the findings will be positive.

“I’ve been present for a number of these groups,” Fleming said. “It’s amazing how quickly people want to open up. It’s amazing too, how somebody across the table will say ‘me too, I’ve had the same experience and that was really hard.’”

Anita Sengupta, a fourth-year humanities student who previously worked with Ysseldyk on a similar project, said she agreed that music is very effective at helping people be more open.

“Just the process of music-making, it really creates that environment where you’re all taking part in something together . . . and that also helps you feel closer to the people in that group,” Sengupta said.

Sengupta said she has been giving piano performances every week at the Élisabeth Bruyère Hospital since 2014.

“I find, personally, that [music] helps me relax and that it can really reach one’s emotions in this heartfelt way,” she said. “Since I have so much experience, I wanted to share this with other people, and promote it as a way to [provide] therapy.”

Sarah Ivanco, a third-year neuroscience student, said she liked the idea of using music as a bonding tool.

“I feel like listening to music in a group allows for an exchange of ideas and perspectives,” Ivanco said. “Even when I’m at a music festival with strangers, there is a vibe the music gives off that unites us all for a moment.”

Fleming said the grant to fund the study was provided by the Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation, which has also funded  the Java Music Club in 35 other long-term care homes in Ontario.

Surveys the researchers conducted in those homes, and the findings from Ysseldyk’s research, will be used to improve the program and provide more evidence that can benefit residents.

The study will conclude in July.

Graphic by Manoj Thayalan