word
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

The Wing, a new study, event and entrepreneurship space, is now open on the fourth floor of Nideyinàn.

Relaunched by the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) on April 8, the space features study seating and is designed to provide a space for students and other local vendors to sell their goods. 

CUSA president Mohamed “Faris” Riazudden said he is excited for what the space will offer for students. 

“The Wing embodies the essence of community, collaboration and innovation,” Riazudden said at the launch event. “The new Wing, reimagined, will bring together local cuisines, cozy study zones, [and] flexible event space, creating a haven for both local and student businesses.”

The opening event featured a speech from John Nelson, director of the Innovation Hub.

The Innovation Hub offers programs dedicated to supporting student entrepreneurship and leadership. 

Nelson encouraged student entrepreneurs to take advantage of available opportunities and pursue their passions for startups and side hustles. He encouraged students to participate in the Hatch, Launch and Breakthrough programs so that they can bring their businesses to the Wing.

“I’m really excited whenever we get a chance to work with people who are thinking outside the box, thinking completely differently, because if there’s something that annoys you, find a way to fix it. It probably annoys somebody else, and somebody will pay you to solve that problem.”

David White Deer, an Ojibway two spirit artist, blessed the space with a drumming performance and smudging ceremony.

Located beside Rooster’s Coffeehouse in Nideyinàn, the Wing was formerly an extension of the student-run coffee shop, hence its name.

Riazudden described the Wing as an “airport lounge meets farmers market concept.”

He added CUSA is aiming for balance and diversity among vendors at the Wing to ensure a variety of food options are available for students.

“On an ideal day we’re hoping to get two food vendors … cuisines that are not overlapping, and two non-food vendors.”

The Wing offers a space for vendors like Laura Zhang to sell their creations.

Zhang, owner and founder of Laura TheExplora Fine Jewelry, was one of the first vendors to set up in the Wing.. 

A recent Carleton graduate, Zhang started making jewelry during her undergraduate degree, and now her business is a full-time job.

“I essentially just wanted to turn my passion into a full-time job. That’s always been my dream,” Zhang said. 

Riazudden said CUSA hopes to expand and improve the Wing in the fall, with vending machines for food and pharmaceutical essentials, Indigenous art and a new piano.  

He also hopes the space will create more student jobs and will give clubs a space to promote their events.

“We want to rent out the space to clubs for hosting more events, we’re hoping to get a stage set up for performances,” Riazudden said. “We want to collaborate with the Innovation Hub to get their groups here to utilize the space.”

Vendors wishing  to book a space at the Wing can fill out an application form, available online and on Instagram.

Featured graphic by  Sara Mizannojehdehi.