Graduate students will have the opportunity to obtain two degrees in European studies, studying at Carleton and a partner institution in Europe, through a new dual master’s program starting this fall.

Carleton’s Institute of European, Russian and Eurasian studies (EURUS) signed an agreement with the Université Saint-Louis–Bruxelles (USL-B) and the Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL) on May 22 to introduce the dual degree program.

Three EURUS graduate students will spend at least two semesters both at Carleton and then at the partner institution, where they will then receive a Master’s of Arts in European, Russian and Eurasian Studies from Carleton and a Master’s in European studies with a specialization in governance and European societies from UCL or USL-B.

Achim Hurrelmann, the director of EURUS, said the program is being offered at the heart of the European Union with both partner universities in Belgium.

“If you want to be an expert in European studies, there’s no real alternative to going to Europe [than] to actually talk to people and [experience] life and politics there,” he said.

According to James Opp, associate dean (programs) of the faculty of graduate and postdoctoral affairs, students only have to pay tuition at their home institution. He said this means that students will be able to get international experience without having to pay international fees.

“I think that’s how you build a great educational experience . . . being exposed to those different kinds of voices and perspectives,” Opp said. “I think that Carleton students, just by having students from Belgium taking part in their graduate courses as well, [will] really change some of the dynamics of these seminar discussions.”

Opp also said that Carleton will be welcoming three new European students in the second year of the program. However, their selection has not been finalized yet.

According to Hurrelmann, the students’ selection will depend on the amount of interest towards the program, the program’s previous performance and further research plans, among other factors.

“In future years, this might be something we build into the master’s application, but because the program was just launched, the only way is to recruit from the students who have already [been] accepted to come here for EURUS this fall,” Hurrelmann said.

Amika Židovová, a first-year neuroscience student originally from Slovakia, said she believes there is a lack of understanding between cultures which this program can help remedy.

“It’s more exciting to go and speak with locals and experience Europe on your own,” she said.

Židovová added that the program allows students to focus on the differences between Canadian and European culture, which can deepen their knowledge and improve their critical thinking skills.

Hurrelmann said there are seven faculty members from EURUS who will be involved specifically with this program, joining members from other departments. The program will not have any courses that are separate from the regular master’s degree at Carleton, he said.

“There are very few Canadian universities that have these kinds of dual master’s agreements,” Opp said. “It’s clear that having international experience will really help position our students, whether they are going off to doctoral studies later on or going into the workplace. Having that on-the-ground experience with these partner institutions will really give them an advantage afterwards.”

Photo by Aaron Hemens