Four Carleton researchers have been inducted as royal fellows into the Royal Society of Canada (RSC). 

The RSC is a foundation dedicated to recognizing independent scholars, with a mission to provide them with the opportunity to discuss and debate complex issues, according to the RSC website. Just over 2,000 Canadians have been elected since the society’s inception in 1882.

Due to their respective research work at Carleton, Robert Letcher, Rianne Mahon, Norman Hillmar, and Tim Cook have been nominated by peers to receive this honour. 

Professor Robert Letcher, a researcher of historical and emerging chemical pollutants in the environment, was nominated into the academy of science faction. Letcher has led a number of studies in the Arctic and Great Lakes Basin, analyzing chemicals in various ecosystems. 

“This is a very prestigious credential for me, it gives me the opportunity as a fellow to contribute to society,” said Letcher. “The fact that I’ve been recognized by my peers is really motivating for me to continue and evolve and expand what I’m doing.” 

Rianne Mahon, a public policy and administration professor, was elected into the social science faction. Mahon is an internationally recognized expert on global social governance and has analyzed issues such as women’s rising participation in national labour forces and childcare policy developments.

Mahon described her research in an email as her “small contribution to making the world a better, more equal place.”

Norman Hillmer, recently elected as a royal fellow in the academy of arts and humanities, is a leading Canadian historian and scholar currently researching the issues of peacekeeping for his new book. He said one of the main goals of his work is to “make history accessible to a wide audience of Canadians.”

Hillmer is honoured to have received this distinction and said he believes “it’s a way of saying that his work has been important to the country.” 

Tim Cook, an adjunct research professor and military historian, has also been elected into the academy of arts and humanities. He examines the social and cultural history of various individuals in the Second World War. These fields have inspired him since youth because of his grandfather who flew as a part of the air force in the war, he added.

Cook also said he believes people want to know their national history, so it is important that historians “challenge ourselves to make sure that we’re sharing these stories with Canadians.”

The Carleton researchers will be officially inducted into the RSC at an annual meeting held in November.

Featured image by Saraah Rasheed.