Alexis Bawagan worked as a chemistry professor at Carleton for more than 20 years. (Provided)

A Carleton professor who died suddenly March 8 is being remembered as a dedicated teacher and loving family man by family and colleagues.

Alexis Bawagan worked as a chemistry professor for more than 20 years at Carleton. He was also active in the academic staff association, according to a university release.

His daughter, Juanita Bawagan, a former Carleton student, said he was very passionate about his work as a professor.

“I remember being younger, he’d always have these stacks of exams, because he liked looking over every single paper, even though he’s been teaching this course for more than 20 years,” Juanita said.

His devotion to research was just as deep, Juanita said.

“His spare time is devoted to research. He actually had a research trip planned, going to Berlin for the summer, ” she said.

Bawagan would go to the university every day, even on weekends, and keep his office hours religiously, Juanita said.

“My dad lives in Quebec, so that means he gets up at an ungodly hour, and I don’t believe professors need to be there every single day, but he did,” she said.

As a father, Bawagan was concerned about the success of his children, Juanita said.

“He’s the kind of person who’d give you homework on weekends, and make sure you go to museums, but I really appreciate that.”

Andrew Lai, a professor in Bawagan’s department, said the department was “saddened and shocked” by his death.

“I last saw him and talked with him in the hallway only 10 days ago, and he was quite enthusiastic,” Lai said.

Though the two never worked together directly, Lai said Bawagan was frank and well-spoken, and his love for his family was well-known.

“He was very happy to have purchased a home for his . . . family. He actually spent weeks to repaint the entire home out of his love for his family,” Lai said.

The loss was also hard on the rest of Bawagan’s family. They’ll be collecting photos for his funeral, which is made easier by how meticulous Bawagan was in keeping his records, Juanita said.

A funeral service will be held at the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish at 11:30 a.m. on March 15.