Men's soccer head coach Sandy Mackie is Carleton's longest standing coach. (Photo by Rebecca Hay)

Carleton University Athletics has announced that it will be inducting three to five new members to its Hall of Fame in September.

As it stands, there are 32 current members in the Hall of Fame, including athletes, donors, coaches, and administrators.

The last time the hall opened its doors to new members was in 2003.

Jennifer Brenning, Carleton’s athletics director, said it is a fitting time to open the Hall given the amount of growth and change that has occurred in the department since then.

“With the launch of football this past year . . . [and] starting a homecoming tradition called Throwback, we felt it was appropriate to resurrect the Hall of Fame,” Brenning said.

Brenning also gave some insight as to how selection works, following the open nomination process during which any member of the Carleton community could make a nomination.

“There is a committee of former Hall of Famers and alumni from different eras that will be reviewing the nominations and making recommendations,” she said.

Among the list of nominees is five-time Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) Basketball Champion and 2006 CIS Male Athlete of the Year, Osvaldo Jeanty.

“It’s always been a great honour to be known as one of the best,” Jeanty said. “I think a lot of people are deserving of being entered. The support that we have in athletics is great and I think that it just keeps improving.”

Also nominated is Carleton’s longest-serving coach, Sandy Mackie, who is in charge of the men’s soccer program.

Mackie has been with the Ravens since 1992, and stressed the importance of student athletes and coaches working together.

“I think opening the Hall of Fame reflects how well Carleton Athletics is doing from a competitive perspective and at the club level too,” Mackie said.

“It’s a great opportunity to recognize just how far athletics has come at Carleton,” he said. “It reflects the commitment of the coaches, and more importantly, of the student athletes.”