Oct. 2 marked Gandhi's 144th birth anniversary. (Photo by Leah Gordon)

Dozens of people gathered to honour Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday Sept. 29 at Carleton.

Oct. 2 marked the 144th birth anniversary of the man known for his doctrine of non-violence and tolerance for all.

The festivities included the singing of traditional Hindu prayer songs, the reading of poems honouring Gandhi’s legacy, and speakers who noted Gandhi’s importance.

“It is very appropriate that we celebrate Gandhi’s birthday every year,” Carleton president Roseann Runte said.

“We need to celebrate Gandhi’s principles. We should remember Gandhi’s teachings about religions and cultures coming together, and we really and truly need to celebrate Gandhi and his vision and keep it alive in the world today,” she said.

The Deputy High Commissioner of India to Ottawa, Tsewang Namgyal, was also in attendance.

“His philosophy-inspired movements of civil rights and freedom all across the world. I am confident that we can all be inspired by his teachings,” he said.

The event was highlighted by an engaging lecture by Vinay Lal, a University of California professor, titled ‘Gandhi’s Religion and the Politics of Hinduism,’ which explored the subject of Gandhi’s faith and his views on religion as a whole.

Lal said Gandhi’s religion has been the subject of numerous inquiries, as his religiosity was eclectic and individual.

“Religion was measured by the extent to which it impinged upon the activities of daily life rather than by religious rituals, temple observances, and even prayer,” he said.

Lal said Gandhi also insisted there are no politics without religion.

“Politics without morality is a thing to be avoided in his point of view,” he said.

The festivities were hosted by the College of the Humanities at Carleton near the Gandhi statue on campus, and are an annual event to celebrate Gandhi’s teachings and philosophy.