The “Grow the Economy” posters push for the decriminalization or legalization of marijuana. (Photo by Willie Carroll)

The Harper government is accusing the Liberals of promoting marijuana use to minors and children through their pro-marijuana legalization posters placed around university campuses, including Carleton’s.

The “Grow the Economy” posters push for the decriminalization or legalization of marijuana.

The posters were provided by the Young Liberals of Canada and put up around campus by the Carleton Liberals in 2012 and 2013, according to David Valentin, Young Liberals’ vice-president (communications).

“It seems Justin Trudeau’s focus is on legalizing marijuana, which will make it easier for children to access,” Stephen Lecce, the prime minister’s deputy director of communications said, according to the Ottawa Citizen.

Valentin said the posters do not promote the consumption of marijuana.

“Last time I checked, these posters are about promoting the legalization of marijuana. They don’t say to smoke marijuana. They don’t promote the consumption of marijuana. They are about a policy, a government policy,” he said.

“I can think of better things to complain about,” he said.

Samantha Khalil, Carleton Liberals vice-president (communications), held a similar view.

“Since the vast majority of individuals on the university campus who view these posters are adults, whether they be students or professors, the accusations made by conservatives that these posters in any way promote consumption among minors are baseless,” she said.