As the federal government is in the process of legalizing and regulating cannabis, university residences are still working to implement policies that address this change.

In April 2017, the government announced the introduction of legislation to “legalize, strictly regulate and restrict access to cannabis,” according to a press release at the time.

If the proposed Cannabis Act passes, it would allow adults to legally possess and use cannabis, according to the release.

Laura Storey, director of housing and residence life at Carleton University, said in an email that students in residence will be allowed to consume cannabis in the same places as any other person can legally consume it.

“Residence will remain a smoke-free environment,” she said.

According to a government website, people will be permitted to use recreational cannabis in a private residence only. It will not be allowed in any public places, the workplace, or motorized vehicles.

Storey said under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, smoking and vaping of medical cannabis would not be allowed in enclosed workplaces, enclosed public spaces, and other areas where tobacco smoking is currently banned.

But, Storey said they’re still in the research phase of how it will be implemented in Carleton’s residence buildings.

In 2017, a self-report survey by Maclean’s showed that over a third of the 22,384 university students who answered the survey said they smoked weed sometimes, while two per cent of them reported smoking daily.

The survey showed Bishop’s University has the highest marijuana usage with 60 per cent of students reporting that they smoke while Mount Saint Vincent University in Nova Scotia had the lowest number.

Andrew Hathaway, a criminal justice professor and an expert on cannabis policy from the University of Guelph, said since tobacco use is already banned on residence, he anticipates that there will not be much change in the regulation of cannabis on campuses, and that cannabis use would follow tobacco use bylaws.

“I guess one positive is, under a legal framework, we’re in a position where we can have open and honest discussions about the use of cannabis by students, and that certainly allows for a consideration of suggesting not only prevention but harm reduction type of discussions,” he said.

One university has already started the conversation.

Barry Stone, residence director at the University Of Manitoba (U of M), said in an email that while the campus policy on cannabis is still pending review, they have formulated a tentative policy on its use in residences for upcoming summer occupancy.

According to the policy, residents may posses up to the legal limit of 30 grams of dried cannabis or the equivalent in non-dried form. Pre-made edibles are also permitted.

However, smoking cannabis will not be permitted inside university buildings or residences. It is only permitted outside within eight metres from entrance doors.

Residents who fail to comply with the U of M’s policy will receive a minimum $50 fine for a first-time offence.

Hathaway said he anticipates the policing of cannabis use in residence will be more focused on students who are not yet of legal age to smoke—which the provincial government has set to 19 years old.

But, he said he doesn’t think the consumption of cannabis on campuses will increase once it becomes legalized.

“I think that’s unlikely just because it’s readily available on university campuses as it is through a variety of channels,” Hathaway said. “You don’t necessarily need to be closely connected to somebody who deals in large quantity . . . because the networks of supply are relatively social and a lot of people are able to use it on a fairly regular basis without spending any money on it at all, because it’s kind of a freely shared activity.”

—with files from Lea Batara