Junior Cadougan drives up the court in a matchup against the Niagara River Lions on June 24. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

In a thrilling back-and-forth match-up, the Niagara River Lions defeated the Ottawa BlackJacks 94-92 on Saturday at the Meridian Centre in St. Catherines, Ont.

The BlackJacks started the game well, playing stellar defense and holding the River Lions—a talented shooting team—to only three-for-10 from the three-point line by halftime. However, the BlackJacks could not keep up with the River Lions’ strength and size inside the paint.

“We have to be a little tighter [on defense],” BlackJacks head coach Charles Dubé-Brais said in a halftime interview. “We defended the three point line pretty well, but we have to be tougher inside [and] not lose as many one-on-one matchups.”

In the second half, Ottawa failed to adapt. In the end, the BlackJacks gave up 54 points in the paint and 17 second chance points.

The game held playoff implications for both teams, with the River Lions in third place and the BlackJacks in fifth, separated by two and a half games in the standings. In the Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL), the Edmonton Stingers will receive an automatic playoff berth as the host city, joined by the team with the next-best record.

The next four teams in the standings will fight for the remaining two playoff spots in the quarterfinals. If Ottawa climbs in the standings, they will play their quarterfinal game at home, but they failed to make up ground against the River Lions.

Ottawa faced few challenges offensively on Saturday, sticking to their game plan of driving the ball to the paint with their size and then kicking it out to wide open shooters for three-pointers. The BlackJacks finished the game shooting an impressive 44 per cent from the three-point line.

Forward Nick Ward led the way for Ottawa. He shot 12-for-18 from the free-throw line and ended the game with 28 points, using his size to shoot over defenders and get to the line often.

The River Lions played physical defense that frustrated the BlackJacks by causing turnovers. Niagara finished the game with 14 steals and 15 points off turnovers. Their transition game turned defensive stops into offensive opportunities all game long.

In the end, it was Ottawa’s 20 turnovers that weighed down the team’s efforts, despite other offensive and defensive successes.

With only four games left in their regular season, the BlackJacks are entering must-win territory if they intend to host a playoff game. Meanwhile, the River Lions are now only one game back of second place in the CEBL, which would earn them a first-round pass and a ticket directly to the semi-finals.

Niagara’s win on Saturday only helps to build momentum down the stretch.

“[We have] a lot of great players and a lot of unselfish guys,” River Lions guard Philip Scrubb said in a post-game interview. “Everyone knows that it takes defense and sharing the ball around to win games and that’s what we do.”

The BlackJacks return to action on Monday against the last-place Saskatchewan Rattlers at TD Place in Ottawa.