Photo by Jesse Winter.

A string of thefts in the parking lots surrounding the athletics buildings Jan. 19 and Jan. 21 are under investigation, where five locked vehicles were reported broken into and had valuables removed.

The first four thefts occurred in the early evening of Jan. 19. The fifth theft occurred Jan. 21, according to Carleton spokesperson Mark Hargreaves.

“Anything of value could be targets,” Hargreaves said, listing bags and electronic devices as examples.

Campus Safety is advising drivers to remove valuables and shopping bags from view while their cars are parked, and be sure to close all windows and lock all doors.

It is not unusual for thefts from vehicles to occur in groups, Hargreaves said.

In response to the rash of thefts, the Department of University Safety began a well-known “Lock it or Lose it” campaign, where officers leave notices on cars with valuables in plain sight to warn drivers at risk of being targeted.

“Over 35 per cent of vehicles we audited had valuables in plain sight making them potential targets for thieves,” Hargreaves said, and added there were 120 vehicles audited in total the week of Jan. 19.

Lock it or Lose it was created in partnership with the Insurance Bureau of Canada and is now used widely across Canada.

Campus Safety is not able to indicate how the vehicles were broken into or if there are any suspects due to the ongoing investigation.

The Ottawa Police service is also warning drivers to secure their cars and remove valuables from sight, according to a press release. The warnings are in anticipation of Winterlude, where high tourist traffic and cars parked downtown make for easy theft targets.

The first week of Winterlude in 2014 saw 71 car break-ins reported to Ottawa Police, a number up from less than 20 in a usual week, the Ottawa Sun reported.

All thefts were reported to the Ottawa Police Service, according to a Campus Safety press release.

Third-year Carleton student Sara Murphy said she feels safe leaving her car in the Athletics parking lot because she doesn’t leave valuables in her car.

“Both my parents are police officers,” Murphy said. “I’m not a very trusting individual.”

“I wouldn’t leave anything too crazy out in the open,” Carleton student Ben Kaufman said, who uses the Athletics parking lot. “I take my laptop with me.”

Campus Safety is asking anyone with information on these thefts to call 613-520-3612.