Characterized by a blunt-cut blonde wig and an impassioned, fiery voice, Sia has become a force to be reckoned with in the pop music world. Although once concealed in the spotlight of the mega-celebrities she wrote hit songs for, Sia’s last album, 1000 Forms of Fear, elevated her to renowned stardom.

Her paradoxical essence has gained her much attention, too. She sings with unguarded power but hides herself from the limelight, which is unlike other pop stars. Her songs—orchestrated by honest lyrics that illustrate her experiences with addiction and heartbreak—and her unique persona have captivated audiences and award committees.

Now Sia has just released her seventh album, This Is Acting. Interestingly, it’s composed of rejected songs that were written for big leaguers such as Kanye West and Rihanna. So, whether this album is just an acting gig or if Sia is extending her personal narrative from her last is a mystery.

One thing is certain: Sia’s enthralling voice remains as potent as ever. In her single “Alive,” she sings about survival after struggle. She sings, “I’m still breathing . . . I’m alive,” striking each note with forcefulness that rings like a beautiful war cry. Sia’s instrumentals haven’t changed from her last album, either. She’s maintained her pop-techno vibes blended with drums and pianos.

The other songs keep a similar theme to “Alive.” Instead of singing about her struggles like before, Sia sings triumphantly about surmounting them. In “Bird Set Free,” she sings, “You held me down, but I fought back loud,” as if to say that she’s conquered the things that once conquered her. Perhaps she is alluding to the troubles she sang about in 1000 Forms of Fear.

This Is Acting also offers an array of feel-good songs, which is refreshing from the heavier subject matter in the others. In “Cheap Thrills,” Sia sings about partying, a classic pop formula. Or there’s “Sweet Design,” which stands out from Sia’s other material for its quick pace, upbeat tone, and light-hearted lyrics.

Overall, This Is Acting serves audiences the kind of music that will move their soul and move their body.

Perhaps Sia is simply paying homage to her album’s title and acting out the lyrics she wrote for someone else. Yet the emotional connection she establishes with the lyrics somehow seems too organic to be forged. Nonetheless, whether it’s a story of defeating hardship, or if it’s all just “acting,” one thing is clear: Sia’s music is as alive as ever.