The EY Centre was the perfect choice for the 4th annual Capital Catwalk, which took place on Jan. 30. Organized by Her Campus at the University of Ottawa (U of O), the popular fashion show’s profits go to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation.

This year the show featured eight Canadian designers including AVENIR Designs, Rebecca Rowe, Zarucci, and Kristie Lance. Each collection offered its own unique pieces to appeal to the diverse crowd.

AVENIR Designs, an Almonte, Ont. based mother-daughter duo founded by Donna and Micaela Cook, was especially proud to show their collection at Capital Catwalk this year as the event was of great importance to Donna, a cancer survivor. They displayed their current winter and upcoming spring collections at the show.

Micaela said the ideas behind the 2016 spring collection were drawn from nature, flowers, and gardens.

“It was more of a feeling that I wanted to portray rather than focusing on a [specific] inspiration,” she explained.

Zoë Crego, the chapter advisor and campus correspondent at the U of O Her Campus, oversees the production of the event and explained the kinds of things the donations to the cancer foundation would contribute towards.

“They provide counselling, therapy, cooking classes, et cetera to people who have been diagnosed with cancer or to family members looking to learn how they can help take care of their loved ones who have cancer,” she said.

This year’s Capital Catwalk succeeded not only in putting on a good show in a fantastic venue, but also by representing the talent in the fashion and arts community on the runway. The diverse audience was filled with energy and support, cheering after each and every collection.

First time guest and U of O student Pascale Vézina-Martel enjoyed the show, and particularly highlighted Kristie Lance’s collection.

“I liked that it catered to different body types,” Vézina-Martel said. “That’s something rare in fashion.”

Her Campus said they plan to expand the event for next year and ensure that Capital Catwalk is an event in the Ottawa arts community that people will not want to miss.