Ahiney Laryea, FASS

63

Ahiney Laryea is an upper year student majoring in sociology. She was born in New Westminster, British Columbia, and grew up in the Vancouver area for eight years before moving to Ottawa in 2001. Before attending Carleton, she attended Canterbury High School. In her spare time, she is involved in Carleton’s Sociology and Anthropology Students’ Association, being a youth leader at her church on Friday evenings, and being the public relations manager for a non-profit organization called the Head Start for Young Women Network. She would describe herself as approachable, thoughtful, dedicated, and pragmatic.

Ahiney is running to become a constituency representative for FASS (faculty of arts and social sciences) for three reasons. First, she is passionate about the academic future of students. She believes that since students not only in Carleton but across Canada are facing challenges in their education (e.g. how to finance it, choosing what kind of degree to pursue that can will provide opportunities for finding future employment), the opportunity to become a CUSA councillor provides her with the ability to investigate what is currently being done or not done by Carleton to ensure that students are getting the most out of their out of their education. Secondly, she wants to bring more awareness to students about all activities in CUSA. Ahiney believes students should be more actively pursued by council representatives in informing them about what is happening. Finally, she has an interest in governance and would like to have a greater understanding about how CUSA works while also gaining insight into how other Carleton administrative bodies like the Board of Governors operate.

If Ahiney is given the honour to become a constituency representative for FASS, she would pursue the following initiatives:

• Establish more regular communication with students outside of email and social media in being able to inform students of CUSA activities but to also hear more student concerns. This would be achieved by having town-hall-style meetings semi-regularly leading up to and after CUSA meetings.
  • Learn how to establish a better relationship with the Carleton Board of Governors. She believes this is important to because we need to have a greater understanding of why decisions are made, and have the ability to voice students’ concerns and work with the Board of Governors in a constructive way.
  • Pursuing all methods to make CUSA work better for students.

Social media Information:

• Facebook: Ahiney Laryea for FASS Rep CU Vote 2016
  • Twitter: Ahiney Laryea for FASS Rep CU Vote 2016