My name is Maria Dalton, and I am a second-year student in the new health sciences program. It’s my firm belief all science students should have their voices heard, change must be enacted, and we as the undergraduate student body must go above and beyond what is expected of us.

That being said, should I be elected as science councillor, I would advocate for longer library hours (because we all know how it feels to try and pump out a lab report discussion at 3 a.m.). Additionally, I would work to achieve greater accountability and transparency from CUSA executives.

What I bring to the table are experience, vision, and determination. Firstly, let start by giving you an overview of my credentials. During my first year at Carleton, I helped to co-found the Health Sciences Society, which allows health sciences students to become better connected to faculty and also provides them with an enriched academic experience via numerous group functions. I have been extremely involved with the Carleton Science Student Society during my time at Carleton. I was elected as a first-year representative, and currently sit as the health sciences councillor for both the CSSS and CASG. Additionally, as a councillor for the Carleton Academic Student Government I serve on the Governance Review committee and the Finance committee. I help to review the fundamental documents of this group, and remediate reform among the core documents and policies.

If you didn’t think that was enough, wait, there’s more. I am also involved with the National Student Commonwealth Forum and have sat as a Planning Team member for the past two years along with being both the Social Media Rep, Speakers Coordinator and Chaperon Coordinator.

Lastly, working on CUSA council involves teamwork, and working collaboratively with others to solve various pertinent issues the student body faces. Teamwork is something I value. I understand how to work on a team effectively—in fact, during my first year of study here at Carleton I was a member of the Varsity Ravens Golf Team, and competed in the OUA alongside my esteemed teammates.

To conclude, my past experiences have given me the skills to move forward into the future and tackle numerous student issues, with vision, determination and resilience. If you ever see me in the halls, feel free to stop and chat. I love meeting new people, hearing your stories, and learning how we can work together to improve your experience here at Carleton.

Stay Fresh. Vote Smart.