Action is one of three slates running in the Rideau River Residence Association’s (RRRA) 2020-21 executive election, scheduled for June 25 and 26. Angelica Zagorski is running for RRRA president, Tyreike Reid is running for vice-president (administration) and Alexandra Coughlan is running for vice-president (programming).

The Charlatan sat down with the running candidates to discuss their goals and campaign promises ahead of the election.

What previous experience do you have?

Presidential candidate Zagorski served as vice-president (student service) for the Carleton University journalism society. In the role, Zagorski co-ran a mentorship program and organized career panels for students to network.

Vice-president (administration) candidate Reid served as a Black Student Alliance executive, and believes his role of representing marginalized individuals will help him lead.

Vice-president (programming) candidate Coughlan was a team leader for Alternative Spring Break, a member of the Relay for Life committee and an executive for Carleton’s cheerleading team.

“I have lived in residence for two years and feel it is one of the best communities to be a part of, which is why I’m so excited to get this opportunity to run for RRRA,” Coughlan wrote in an email.

All three Action candidates served as residence fellows in 2019-20.

“I feel that role has prepared me to fully lead and cultivate a community with people of so many different cultures, races, and backgrounds,” Reid wrote.

Why are you running?

Zagorski is focused on renewing student trust in RRRA and making sure student voices are heard.

“I’m tired of administrations failing to act on their plans and act on student voices,” Zagorski wrote. “My team’s campaign is centred around catering to student voices and we are flexible to changing our ideas as students speak up.”

Reid said he wants to ensure that all residence students are welcome.

What are Action’s goals for RRRA in 2020-21?

“Our vision and goals are fostered around financial assistance, mental health awareness, diversity, health and safety, sustainability and so much more,” a campaign email reads. “We want to create a residence community where students feel safe, educated, represented and financially prepared for their futures!”

If elected, how would Action serve residence students in this unprecedented time?

In addition to planning virtual events, Action wants to increase mental health counsellors and adopt virtual counselling for students at home.

Another priority is working with the Paul Menton Centre to ensure students have notes for online classes amid COVID-19.

“These are things that we hope to not just be available for res students, but all first-year students who are missing out on experiencing residence,” a campaign email reads. “We want to bring residence to them and expand our horizons off campus to fully support their needs.”

The 2020-21 RRRA executive election will take place June 25 and 26 via email, and an All Candidates debate will be held Wednesday at 6:30 pm ET.

Read the Charlatan’s profile of other slates here: Forward | Elevate

Featured image provided by Action slate.