The Charlatan Logo

Hello! Are you interested in running for the position of News Editor at the Charlatan? Here’s a cheat sheet of everything you need to know about our upcoming elections and their procedures.

At the previous Annual General Meeting, the members of Charlatan voted to formally close the National section and direct the extra editorial staff position to the News section. That means a byelection must be called to fill the vacancy.

Important Dates:

• Applications due on August 11th, 2023 @ 11:59 p.m. EST.
  • Speeches will take place from August 12th to August 13th (anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on those days) via Zoom.
  • Voting will take place between August 14 to August 16, 2023. Eligible voters will receive an email from the Carleton University Ombuds Services.
  • Results will be announced latest by August 23, 2023.

To Apply:

• Those interested in running for the third News Editor position must submit a cover letter (containing the candidate’s full name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, and valid student number) expressing their interest and qualifications for the position, a one-page (double-sided) CV, and a platform paper introducing the candidate to voters and expressing any ideas they have for the paper.
  • Applications should be submitted to the Chief Editorial Returning Officer (Benjamin Lopez Steven) at chair.charlatan@gmail.com.
  • During the speech period, candidates will give a speech of no more than three (3) minutes. A question period will follow and last fifteen (15) minutes, not including the three (3) questions from the current editor(s). Questions during the question period may be posed by current editors, candidates for other positions, and eligible voters. Each person is eligible to ask up to two questions, and candidates have one (1) minute to respond to each.
  • Interested candidates must have contributed to EITHER the News Section OR the former National section at least four (4) times between May 2022 and the deadline for applications.

Campaign Procedures:

• No candidate may actively solicit votes by using the Charlatan contact lists to phone or email volunteers. This does not mean candidates cannot attempt to garner votes; however, they must do it on their own time and with their own resources.
  • Any current editor running for another position cannot solicit votes using any official communication or in any working capacity. A candidate found to be using the Charlatan resources to do so will be disqualified at the discretion of the Chief Electoral Officer.

To Be an Eligible Voter:

• One must have contributed once to the section they are voting for between May 2022 and the application deadline. If you have contributed to the Charlatan a minimum of four (4) times, you may vote for any position.
  • A list of eligible voters will be posted to the Charlatan website no later than three days before speeches.

Additional Information:

• Examples of previous position papers can be found at the following here.
  • Any questions should be directed to Benjamin Lopez Steven, Chief Editorial Returning Officer, at chair.charlatan@gmail.com.
  • Official electoral procedures can be found here.
  • Zoom links to election speeches will be made available via the Charlatan’s website/social media the week of. Official schedules will be available at least one day before the speeches.