It’s a new year, which means new music, books, movies, and events coming up. Some of The Charlatan’s arts writers decided to share some things to look forward to, from books to music and more.

Colin Mylrea: Alexander Chee – How to Write an Autobiographical Novel

Alexander Chee is the writer of two of my favourite books of the last 20 years. Edinburgh, released in 2001, and The Queen of the Night, which I had previously reviewed for the Charlatan. Both of these books are rich with detail and melancholy in the best way. Filling the gap between these two books is a series of essays that have been anthologized in the upcoming collection How to Write an Autobiographical Novel. Chee’s writing is lapidary and, at its best, stands with Joan Didion and Rebecca West in its ability to both cut into the psyche of the reader and reflect it. I’m not familiar with his non-fiction, having only read the title essay (which was published by BuzzFeed’s online literary journal in 2016). I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy and dive deeper into his oeuvre.

Daniel Meecham: Incoming class of music students

As per usual, every September we have new students: first years, they call it. And each year, they bring an arsenal of creative jingles and fantastic energy only seen once during Frosh Week. I can’t wait. I’m saying this because yes, I once was a froshie, but damn, I was hyped. I loved everything about Frosh and these incoming first years are going to love it too. I’m excited to see the new wave of Ravens dominate September’s frosh as if University didn’t matter at that point. First years: Don’t be afraid to have fun, I’m anticipating a very, very interesting week ahead. I’ll be watching.

Matt Yuyitung: Lucy Dacus – Historian

With new albums from Porches, The Shins, tUnE-yArDs, in the next few weeks alone, it’s not like there’s no shortage of new music to look forward to. But Lucy Dacus’ new record is probably the one I’m looking forward to most. Her 2016 release, No Burden, was just a simple, workman-like indie rock record that benefited from great songwriting and tight arrangements. There was a certain warmth to her writing, one that invited the listener in to enjoy the record. Like fellow singer-songwriters Waxahatchee and Phoebe Bridgers, the record is comforting, yet intimate. Let’s hope her next album brings more of that.

Karen-Luz Sison: Michael Wolff – Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House

With 2018 having started off with explosive remarks by U.S. President Donald Trump about owning a big nuclear button, it’s no surprise that the world of literature was rocked by the release of Michael Wolff’s colourful presidential memoir Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House. A book following the story of the most polarizing leader in American history, Fire and Fury fittingly arrived within a flaming cloud of its own controversies, with Trump himself trying to ban publication of it and accusations of Wolff spreading unfounded gossip running amok on Twitter. Fire and Fury will definitely be a hot must-read to pick up this year. The critics say to pick it up with a skeptical eye, but I plan on reading it with the same way I’d approach reality television: expecting to be entertained rather than informed.

Gabbi Van Looyen – The Incredibles 2

The long-awaited sequel to The Incredibles will be bringing our favourite spandex-clad family of superheroes back to the big screen this June.  Incredibles 2 may be a decade late in the making, but offers up a plot that resonates in 2018. It’s an ode to modern family life, with Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible (Brad Bird) becoming a stay-at-home dad so that his wife, Helen Parr (Holly Hunter), can continue fighting crime as Elastigirl. Exploring the incredible in the everyday while bringing back a piece of my childhood, Incredibles 2 has the makings of Disney’s next hit.

Photo by Aaron Hemens