If you’re trying to find an artist who can mix the country twang of Brad Paisley with the soulful groove of Boyz II Men, look no further than JoJo Mason. After a series of injuries, which prevented him from pursuing a professional hockey career, Mason has found success as a rising star in the Canadian country music scene.

Mason is currently opening for the James Barker Band on the Game On Tour. He caught up with The Charlatan ahead of the Jan. 17 show in Ottawa.

The Charlatan (TC): How did you first get into country music?

JoJo Mason (JM): I’ve always loved country music. I’ve always loved all kinds of music, and I think that’s what makes this genre, especially right now with the growth of the genre, it’s so special, that it’s so willing and accepting of all different kinds of music. For me, I’ve always been a fan of country music. My favourite country artist has always been Brad Paisley, and I’ve been following his career for quite some time, so it’s really something that I wanted to do once I got the opportunity to be in music. I chose this genre for the reason simply because it’s all about good vibes, it’s all about family, it’s all about love, and that’s what I’m about.

TC: What sort of things do you try to draw from [Brad Paisley]?

JM: He can play a song and release a song that’s funny, hilarious, like “Alcohol,” and on . . . like the complete other side of the spectrum, release a song so deep and so emotional, like “Whiskey Lullaby,” and still be taken just as seriously on both ends. As an artist, I’m really trying to do just that, and that’s what you want. You want people to see all different kinds of sides of you, and that way you can relate to someone on more than one level . . . That’s what I draw from him. He’s an incredible talent, and he just seems like a really nice down-to-earth dude. Every story I’ve heard has been like, “I want to be best friends with this guy!”

TC: Who are some of your other influences?

JM: What I really want to do is breach the gap between soul music and country music. Some of my other inspirations, they derive from Boyz II Men, R. Kelly, even the likes of Céline Dion . . . If you look at my iPod, you’ll see all different kinds of genres of music, and Kenny G. So, you combine all those into one and I feel like that’s kind of what I’m trying to be.

TC: I understand you were really into hockey when you were younger?

JM: Just like every good Canadian kid, right, they grow up with the dream of making it to the show and pursuing a career in hockey. Now, I didn’t know if I was ever going to make it that far, but I knew that that was a goal, that’s what I wanted to do. So, I put everything into it and as the story goes, herniated discs and injuries and wear and tear kind of got to me and put a halt to my career. It was a tough time once I had to pull the plug.

TC: It was from there that you started to go into making music?

JM: It was funny how it happened. So, I hurt my back, I was living in Victoria at the time, and my parents had relocated from Victoria to Vancouver. Once I hurt my back, I couldn’t work anymore. I was working as a garbage man and as a bartender as well, playing hockey full-time as well, so it was a lot of heavy lifting and what not. So, fast-forward to the injury, when I couldn’t work, I couldn’t play hockey, I kind of lost myself. My mom called me one day, she said, “JoJo, I’m worried about you, you’re not doing well, you’re going down the spiral. You’ve got to come home, let us help.” So, I went home, and my parents put me through the rehabilitation process and had an MRI done for me and everything, and once I was able to start working again, I started bartending. I met one of my friends, one of my closest friends now, she invited me to her annual mulled wine party, and from there I met my producer, my producer now. I didn’t have any reason to believe that I was ever going to be a singer or that I was even going to be in music, we just got to chat and found out what he did for a living, and we just kind of hit it off. By the end of the night, he gives me his card and says, “Man, if you got the balls to call me, I’ll give you an hour of my time,” and I said, “Sure! What have got to lose? Let’s try it out,” and so I tried it out and so far, so good.

TC: How would you sort of describe [2017]?

JM: Crazy and amazing. It’s been the best kind of crazy, super busy with playing shows, I released an album. It was such an amazing year. I got to go to the [Canadian Country Music Awards], I was nominated for Rising Star this year, so it was something unlike anything I’d ever experienced before. To sum up the year, yeah, crazy would do it.

TC: What were some of your favourite moments of the CCMA experience?

JM: I’m from Saskatchewan, and one thing that we have a tradition of is whenever there’s a Roughriders game, we carve out watermelons and put them on our heads. So, I knew I was going to be interviewing some of the Roughriders players that played this year, so I carved out my watermelon, they came up, then I had the chance to interview some of those guys, so that was a big highlight. Another one was just seeing my face on the big screen when they were announcing the nominees for Rising Star. That was something special, goosebumps head to toe, tears in my eyes. It was a true testament as to where I’m going and possibly where I could be going in my career, so it was something special for me.

TC: What was it like to get [Both Sides of the Bar] out there?

JM: That album really depicts and portrays who I am, and I feel like what I am as, not just a person, but as a musician and as a man, as well. It’s fun, it’s happy, it’s good vibes. The title track of the album really represents who I am, and it’s an experience that I went through, it’s a true story. There’s something really cool to be said about putting everything you’ve got into this album, and I know most musicians that I’ve met have done something like this, and put out an album, and released music, can feel the same way.

TC: So, would the title track be the most meaningful song to you?

JM: I’d say so, yeah, just because it’s an experience that I went through. It’s something that I lived. I went through something real with another human being that was one of the most emotionally draining but also rewarding experiences I’ve ever had. This guy came into the bar, large as life usually every day, came in the same time every day after work. One day, he wasn’t doing so well, so I came around the bar, poured him his usual bottle of beer and a shot of Irish whiskey, and I sat down beside him and said, “My man, what’s going on?” He told me that if it wasn’t for his kids right now, he doesn’t know if he’d want to be alive. So, I brought him over to another table and we chatted for quite some time, and he came back a few days later, I didn’t see him for a few days, and said, “Man, I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t have sat down and chatted with me for the time that you did, and taking some time for me. So, I want to thank you and let you know how much I love and appreciate you.” So, that was something so special I went through, and we had to write a song about it, and turns out, we named the album after that song.

TC: How are the first few shows going?

JM: The first few shows have been incredible. I think we’ve sold out almost every show up to date. We’re here in Ottawa and going on our sixth show sold out! Insane, man! The crowds have been super responsive. It something like I’ve never seen before . . . I’ve got my opening slot and just bring the heat, baby, open up the show and let Meghan [Patrick] do her thing, and she warms them up for James [Barker] and the boys. We’re a solid trio, I think, a solid pack of artists.

TC: What are you looking forward to about the rest of this tour?

JM: I’m just looking forward to being able to travel across the country and do what I do. I never had the chance to do something like this, and I’m having so much fun going from city to city and meeting everybody, and seeing where the fruits of our labours have come to life, and it’s a cool experience. So, I’m looking forward to just continuing to travel, and continuing to see how amazing and beautiful our country is, but also to see how amazing the people are, how much love they show for country music, and myself, and James and Meghan.

TC: What do you think this tour means for the future of Canadian country music?

JM: You can see how much talent there is with the James Barker Band and with Meghan [Patrick], you can see that we can compete with American markets, I think, anyways. I think we have enough talent to go down and really make a statement and really make a difference. I don’t think there should be this border anymore. I think we should all just be in one pool together, and all be taken seriously together, and I think that’s what we all want, as an artist, that’s what you want. And I know Meghan does and I know James and the boys do. So, I think it really means something that we’re all together and we’re staying strong and we’re standing up for our country and country music, in general. We just love all kinds of music, and we’re blessed that we get a chance to play. It means a lot for Canadian country music that we’re all doing this together, and we’re standing by each other’s side, and supporting one-another.

TC: What’s next for you?

JM: We get back in the studio and we start grinding away on the next album. It never stops, and that’s what I love about it. There’s always work to be done and when you consider your job to be something you love so much, it doesn’t feel like work anymore. I’m just excited to enjoy this tour as much as I have been, then get back to what I love to do.

Photo by Jeff Pelletier