A mentorship program for students with Asperger’s syndrome at York University is gaining recognition.

York is one of a handful of Canadian universities to offer a mentorship program for students with Asperger’s syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism characterized by trouble with social interaction.

Mentors in the program are graduate students studying clinical psychology, according to Stephanie Brown, the program’s co-ordinator.

These students are paired up with one or two students who have Asperger’s. They meet regularly so the student can discuss any issues he or she is having, from organizing their schedules to how to disclose their condition to others.

Psychology professor James Bebko started the program three years ago.  He has worked with autistic children and teenagers for 25 years.

He said as more children are getting diagnosed with Asperger’s, more will attend college and university.

“I realized for some, the social skills would be a real challenge. It was at that point I contacted counselling and disabilities services at York  and spoke with them what their experience has been thus far. And they were finding it very difficult,” Bebko said.

He said the mentorship program lets psychology students get practical experience in their field, and students with Asperger’s talk openly about any challenges they face.

“The students that I’ve met with have reported it is helpful,” Brown said.

“It’s having someone to ask: ‘I’m having a problem with my significant other.  I don’t understand why they got mad.’ And then we talk about why that may have happened,” she said.

Every mentor in the program is trained by more experienced mentors and the clinical supervisors about the strengths and challenges that come with Asperger’s, Brown said.

They are not therapists or counsellors, but rather are there to listen to their students’ problems, according to Brown.

“We always explain our role as a type of coach. Someone you can go to and review the game plan with, but we’re not going to play the game for you,” Brown said.

She said the program also acts as a “peer network.”  The entire group is invited to dinner or plays once a month so the students can meet others with Asperger’s.

Bebko said he hopes the program will keep the dropout rate for students with autism at the same level as other students.

None of the students in the program have dropped out of university yet, and two graduated in the spring, according to the York psychology clinic’s website.

Bebko said one of the best features of the program is that it allows students with Asperger’s to talk to someone about their condition.

“One of them said, I think it was a year or two ago, what was great about the program was that he didn’t have to spend the first half-hour explaining to people what Asperger’s was. We just knew it, so he could just get down to being himself,” Bebko said.

Carleton University does not offer a mentorship program for students with Asperger’s, but it does accommodate students through the Paul Menton Centre.  Students are referred to a learning strategist to help them with group work, presentations, and class participation requirement.  They are also given extra time and a quiet location for tests and exams.