Security staff at York University in Toronto is set to be equipped with batons, handcuffs and bullet-proof vests following multiple allegations of increasing crime and violence on campus, according to the Toronto Star.

An anonymous source told the Toronto Star that the initiative is to put a damper on the fears of students in order to raise a declining enrollment rate. Enrollment for the fall 2011 semester at York has dropped by 0.6 percent, a 40-student decrease compared to last September, according to an Aug. 4 Ontario University Application Centre report.

Security staff at York University were previously under a policy of non-intervention in situations of violence, according to the Toronto Star. Recently, they have been advised by an independent safety audit to increase their security measures as they have long been a cause of concern and seen as inadequate by students.

Third-year computer science student at York, Nader Gerges, said he’s usually “pretty [cautious]” on campus, “especially at night time.” But he said he worries mostly for girls “walking around campus at night.”

These reservations may be shared with other students because of York’s recent history of crime, including the the high-profile murder of Qian Liu.

Liu’s killer entered her home in York University Village this past April while she was on her webcam with her boyfriend who was in Beijing at the time of the attack. The story made international headlines.

Gerges said he wasn’t surprised by the added security measures, stating that he’s “heard about a few crimes recently that were really shocking.”

He  said he does worry about an abuse of power that might arise should security guards possess batons capable of inflicting injury, though he said if they’re well-trained and professional, the new measures should prove to be more of an aid than a detriment.

Allan Burns, Carleton’s director of university safety, said Carleton is “an extremely safe campus.”

“Campus safety officers have the training and equipment they need to contribute to the safety of our community,” Burns said.

Burns also said handcuffs and batons are standard equipment at almost all university security departments and have been for some time.
Students at Carleton have also spoken out about their stance on the safety of Carleton’s campus.

Second-year architecture student Danielle Janicas said she feels safe “most of the time” while on campus and there are always “lots of people to call on if you need help or a walk home.”