The Carleton University Ravens women’s soccer team welcomed the Nipissing Lakers and Laurentian Voyageurs to town, looking to rebound regain their form and some ground in the OUA East division this past weekend.

First up was a match-up against the Nipissing Lakers, a team the Ravens were able to trounce 5-0 in their last meeting and from the first whistle to the last, it was more of the same from the Ravens.

Carleton started the game at a ferocious pace, keeping the ball for large amounts of time and not allowing the Lakers to get a foothold.

The Ravens’ pressure resulted in a multitude of chances for the home team and it finally paid off in the 31st minute when fourth-year forward Adrianna Ruggerio found the back of the net on a solo effort.

The lead would not last long, when at the stroke of halftime the Lakers were able to pull one back on one of their few chances, leaving the Ravens to mull over their missed opportunities during the break.

After the break, the Ravens continued to dominate, and this time they would prove to be much more clinical in front of the net as fourth-year midfielder Sarah Royer connected on a corner kick to put the Ravens ahead of once again.

The second half continued to be dominated by Carleton, as they were able to out-shoot their guests 17-4 in a victory that was secured in 79th minute, when the Ravens were able to find a third goal through forward Nicole Filipow.

After the game, Filipow said the team needs to be able to finish their chances.

“We could have been up by four or five at the half, and we were disappointed to be tied, but as a team we were much better later in the game,” she said.

The Ravens could not rest on their laurels as they were handed a tough test the next day from the visiting Laurentian Voyageurs. The Voyageurs proved to be a much tougher opponent for the home team, applying more pressure on the depleted back line of the Ravens.

They were able to find a go-ahead goal in the sixth minute of play. The Ravens were able to find a way back into the game just before halftime once again through a long strike by Royer.

After halftime, the game was a back-and-forth affair that looked like either team could win and. After that, it was the home team that was able to take the advantage thanks to a goal from rookie forward Melat Cherent in the 61st minute of play.

The lead was short-lived as the Voyageurs pulled even in the next minute of play. Despite both teams pressing to find a late winner, the score was settled in a fair 2-2 draw with each team earning a point.

Filipow said the lack of composure could have contributed to a number of key injuries.

“We had a number of girls that were out today. Both [Ruggerio] and [Boutin] are two key players for us that got hurt in the Nipissing game, but we can’t use that as an excuse, as it is a long season and these things happen,” she said.

With the four points from the weekend the Ravens improve to 5-2-2 and are tied for third in the Ontario University Athletics East division.

The Ravens continue their stretch of home games, as the Queen’s University Gaels come to Ravens Field on Oct. 1.