Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Michael Tremblay has the privilege of being both a nationally-ranked Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighter and a master’s of philosophy student at Carleton, which few students can claim.

The St. Anthony’s Banquet Hall was the stage for Tremblay’s first amateur mixed martial arts (MMA) fight in four years, where he beat Tareg Hossieni on a technical knockout  Sept. 20.

“The match went perfect,” Tremblay said. “I was very nervous for it, but also excited.”

As a result of his first-round knockout, Tremblay has advanced to 3-0 in his MMA career.

Tremblay said he attributes his success to his strict diet and training routine.

“I don’t drink or smoke,” he said. “I’ve been training since I was five or six years old.”

Tremblay also said he is lucky to be coached by his father, Peter Tremblay, when he competes in the ring.

“It’s a great experience. Having that person be a constant part of your life really helps you focus and regulate your behaviour so you perform better,” he said. “Me and my father are very similar people, so it’s not a difficult process.”

Outside of the ring, Tremblay said he is interested in the connection between martial arts and philosophy.

“To me, they are both about character development—two sides of the same pursuit,” he said.

He said he has been considering doing a thesis on this connection, but doesn’t have a concrete plan.

“I’m interested in drawing the parallels between philosophy as a method of self-improvement, which is the same thing I’ve used martial arts for,” he said. “They’re both means of improving your character.”

Tremblay said he sometimes finds it hard to balance training and school, but he also teaches MMA and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighting to kids aged 10-14 and adults.

“I always like teaching adults. I like being able to teach at full difficulty,” he said.

He also explained how for him, the competition just keeps going, as he’ll be heading to Montreal Oct. 3 for Canada’s Jiu-Jitsu Championship.

“I would say it’s the most difficult tournament in Canada,” he said. “It’s a really prestigious tournament. All the best guys come out from all across the country, so it’s a really great experience. It’s a really fun tournament.”

The winner will receive an all-expenses paid trip for the world championships in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.