(Photo by Kyle Fazackerley)

The Ravens women’s soccer team picked up four of a possible six points in back-to-back home games Sept. 28-29 at Keith Harris Stadium.

The team started their home series strong with a 4-0 victory against the Nipissing University Lakers.  Looking for a similar outcome, the Ravens finished off the weekend tying the Laurentian Lady Vees 1-1 the next day.

“We were hoping for six points, so that part is a little disappointing,” Ravens assistant coach Sophie Lecot-Hearn said after the tie against Laurentian. “We were hoping for more. It didn’t happen today, but it’s not for a lack of effort, that’s for sure.”

Carleton jumped out to an early lead against the Lakers with two first half goals by fourth-year midfielder Samantha Nealon. Goals by Emma Landry and Andrea Way secured the victory for Carleton.

The Ravens found themselves in the opposite situation against the Lady Vees, falling behind early when the Lady Vees scored in the ninth minute to take the lead.

Carleton replied with a goal by Landry 20 minutes later. The score remained unchanged for the rest of the game.

“This year, we’ve responded to a lot of goals in games, especially if we’re scored on early,” third-year midfielder Veronica Mazzella said. “That’s our fighting mentality, and it really shows that the Ravens are the type of team to not get mental lapses when we get scored on. That’s one of the strengths—to respond.”

The Ravens were out for revenge against Laurentian after the Lady Vees handed them their second loss of the season in an away game the previous week.

“We knew that we didn’t want another loss against them because we know that we are a better team than they are. It was kind of a flame under our butts to work harder . . . and to have a better performance,” Mazella said.

Injuries also played a key factor for Carleton in the game against the Lady Vees. The Ravens were without captain Briana De Souza after she suffered a minor head injury in the game against Nipissing.

“The injuries threw us a bit of a curveball,” Mazzella said. “Players had to play out of position, including myself, and had to step out of their comfort zone and try to do what’s best for the team . . . I think if we were in full force and everybody was healthy, it would have been a different outcome.”

The Ravens are currently in third place in the Ontario University Athletics East division with a 6-2-2 record. Lecot-Hearn said the team is looking forward to developing on their success from the first half of the year.

“We’re transitioning to the last part of the season,” she said. “It was a tough weekend for us with the trip to Nipissing and Laurentian . . . but we are looking forward to the rest of the season and continuing to build and finish towards the top of the standings.”