Home Sports Ravens lose first exhibition game

Ravens lose first exhibition game

74
(Photo by Jasleen Singh)

The Ravens women’s basketball team had their first exhibition game Sept. 28 against Les Nomades du Collège Montmorency.

The game was the first for more than half of the Ravens team. The Ravens have nine new players on the team’s roster with only four returning players from last season. These players are fifth-year guard Elizabeth Roach, and sophomores Lindsey Suprunchuk, Lindsay Shotbolt and Natasha Plaskacz.

“There’s a bigger role for me to play this year and I hope that I can help everyone along and carry my own part too.  We’re a younger team this year,” Roach said. 

Newcomer Tauralee Tenn, a transfer from Canisius College of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, opened the scoring two minutes into the first quarter.

Tenn’s basket was followed by a lay-up from veteran Roach making the score 4-0 for the Ravens within the first few minutes of the game. The Ravens played a strong first quarter finishing with a score of 12-3.

The second quarter saw the Nomades fight back when Marie-Love Michel ignited and scored three baskets in the second quarter. By the end of the second quarter, the Nomades overtook the Ravens 29-22.

“We kind of thought it was going to be easy . . . and they got 26 points in the second quarter,” Ravens head coach Taffe Charles said.

The Nomades led the Ravens into the fourth quarter, however within 30 seconds of the fourth quarter, the Ravens rallied back with a basket by Plaskacz.

Plaskacz’s basket was followed by two foul shots by rookies Heather Lindsay and Tenn respectively tying the game at 38-38 a piece. The Ravens then took the lead after Roach sank a basket.

The remaining five minutes of the game was back and forth with each team sinking a couple of baskets. In the end, the Nomades pulled ahead winning the game 52-50.

“We played hard. I didn’t like the second quarter, but we played harder for the other three quarters,” Charles said.

Even though the Ravens blew their early lead, Charles maintained a calm demeanour over the course of the game.

“He understands that we have 10 new players… he’s trying to be patient with us and help us,” Roach said.

Charles is still thinking positively following the loss.

“We’ll get better,” he said.

The Ravens will play their next exhibition game on the road against the McGill University Martlets Oct. 4 and will face the St. Lawrence University Saints Oct. 10 in the Ravens’ Nest.