The women’s Nordic ski team emerged victorious in the 2016 OUA Nordic Skiing Championship this weekend, winning their first title since 2004 and the ninth OUA Nordic banner in school history. Carleton hosted the competition, which was held in Gatineau, Que. during the weekend of Feb. 19 to Feb. 21.

The men’s team came in second for the Paul Allen trophy to the Lakehead Thunderwolves, but saw both teams’ head coach named ski coach of the year.

“Carleton has a really good program,” Ravens skier Graham Perry said. “It’s definitely one of the best in the country and definitely Ontario. He puts in a lot of work. Carleton allows us to have a coach that’s going to be there for us whenever we need.”

Perry attributed the team’s funding to part of their success, as it allows them to have a full-time coach rather than a volunteer.

The weekend championship was comprised of three events: a 7.5-kilometre short distance race with an interval start, a 3-by-3 kilometre relay with three athletes to a team, and a 10-kilometre mass start race.

The 3-by-3 kilometre race was one of the event’s highlights.

“That was a really good race,” Perry said. “It was shorter, so the trail went around the stadium, so everyone could be cheered on as they went the entire time. I think that was a really good part of that day.”

Carleton’s Megan Evans won silver and Emilie Stewart-Jones won bronze in the 7.5 kilometre interval free event. The women’s team won the first Nordic title since 2004, breaking an 11-year win streak by the Lakehead Thunderwolves.

“I thought the conditions were good,” Evans said. “My skis were super fast . . . I thought everyone raced really hard.”

Evans was also named TSN 1200 athlete of the week for her performance.

Despite their successes, the sport has faced challenges with the late-onset of snow this season.

“Usually we train in Gatineau, in the park there,” Evans said. “We’ve been training since the fall. It was a bit of a tough season with no snow for so long, but it was great to finally get snow in January.”

The team relied on roller skiing, ski bounding, and running for training.

With the snow falling, the team is looking forward to competing in nationals in mid-March.