The loss means six graduating Ravens have played their final game on home ice. (Photo by Erica Giancola)

A 4-1 loss to the University of Montreal Carabins at the Ice House Feb. 9 eliminated the Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team from playoff contention.

Montreal, then ranked as the second-best team in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), jumped out to a 2-0 lead midway through the first period.

Forward Sadie Wegner scored on the power play in the second period to put the Ravens in flight.

Her team-leading ninth goal of the season came with just four seconds left in the frame.

The Ravens tried to even the score on an early third-period power play, but were unable to solve Carabins goaltender Caroline Baldin.

Marion Allemoz beat Ravens goalie Eri Kiribuchi for her second goal of the game less than two minutes after the Ravens power play expired. Audrey Gariepy completed the scoring for Montreal with 13 minutes remaining to seal a 4-1 victory.

The Ravens needed to win their final three games and get some help in order to make the post-season picture. With the loss, the Ravens fell short of their goal and will finish in last place in the Quebec league, RSEQ.

Fourteen minutes in penalties hurt the Ravens, head coach Shelley Coolidge said.

“When we had the momentum, we ended up taking a penalty, sitting in the box, and fighting a bit from behind,” she said. “When you play number two in the country, as a group we’ve got to work harder to keep generating some offence. In order to do that, it’s about us staying out of the penalty box.”

Kiribuchi made 33 saves, but took the blame for the loss.

“I don’t think I played well,” Kiribuchi said. “I think I made a few mistakes and that led my team to lose. I’m very mad at myself.”

The loss means six graduating Ravens have played their final game on home ice.

Following the game, emotions ran high as each of the players recognized the implications of the loss.

“It’s definitely tough to finish my last year not making the playoffs,” fifth-year defence Erin Beaver said. “But it truly was an honour to play with this group of girls on home ice.”

The game carried a different set of emotions off the ice as the Ravens hosted a fundraiser in support of the Do It For Daron (D.I.F.D.) mental health initiative.

“Anytime you have an opportunity to help out off the ice with D.I.F.D. and youth mental health, it shows hockey is a vehicle to promote and support a way bigger picture of life,” Coolidge said.

The Ravens donated $4 from every ticket sold and proceeds from the sale of Ravens toques and baked goods to the initiative.

The Ravens played the game without second-year forward Kaylie Welk. Welk suffered a spinal contusion in practice Feb. 7.

Carleton will be without Welk for its final two games of the season, beginning Feb. 14 against the Carabins. They will wrap up the season Feb. 16 at the University of Ottawa against the Gee-Gees.

“At this point it’s very much about character and process,” Coolidge said. “We entered into a 20-game season, but some of the games just haven’t gone our way. In our next two games, it’s very much about us bringing our best game forward.”