Brothers Carlo and Emilio Gallotta will be joining the Ravens football team for the upcoming season. (Provided)

The Carleton Ravens football team is getting a chance to see some of its new talent shine on the big stage as Ravens recruit Carlo Gallotta from Calgary has been selected to play in the prestigious 68th annual Montana East-West Shrine Game July 19 in Laurel, Mont.

The game is one of the oldest high school football all-star games in the United States, dating back to 1947, according to the Montana East-West Shrine Game website.

Gallotta said this is a big accomplishment for him as a player, and also for other prospects across the country.

“It means a lot. It gives a good push to Canada, sets some good eyes on Canadian players,” he said. “It just opens up a lot of doors to Canada, so that the U.S. will start looking at us more than it does now. It’s good for our country.”

Gallotta played defensive end for the Notre Dame High School football team.

The team won the Alberta provincial championship in 2013 for the second consecutive year, according to the Football Alberta website.

Ravens head coach Steve Sumarah said Gallotta was a big contributor to his high school team’s success on the defensive side of the ball, and that’s part of what caught his eye.

“Carlo is an impact player, no question,” he said. “He can rush the passer, tackle, he can wreak havoc on an offence for sure.”

Like many athletes at this level, Gallotta said he works hard and prepares for every game the same.

“Basically I prepare by doing whatever I can to make myself better. That includes watching film, working out, and just practicing hard,” he said. “During game day, I just stay focused on the game and get myself ready. I prepare myself mentally and physically.”

Sumarah said this international opportunity is not just about Gallotta, but it also opens up the market of players across Canada to the United States.

“I think this just shows the level of talent that we have in this country,” he said. “I think it’s starting to finally get recognized in a big way again in the U.S.”

After the excitement of the all-star game, Gallotta will be entering his first year at Carleton during the Ravens’ sophomore football season.

Gallotta’s brother, Emilio Gallotta, will also be joining the Ravens football team next season, Ravens defensive co-ordinator Ryan Bechmanis said.

Carlo Gallotta said one of the things that drew him to Carleton was the balanced culture the school has between studies and sports. He said as long as something is academically focused, the coaches are flexible when it comes to team commitment.

Gallotta said he is looking forward to working with the coaching staff, and especially his new teammates.

“It is a rebuilding team, and there are a lot of young people on this team,” he said. “That just means for me that in a few years, or maybe even next year, we have a chance to be competitive.”

Sumarah said he is optimistic for Gallotta’s future as a part of the Ravens program.

“He understands what it takes to win, he understands commitment,” he said. “He’ll be a leader down the road in our program.”