Players from the Carleton Ravens women's hockey team celebrate a 1-0 win against Bishop University at the Ravens Perch in Ottawa, Ont on Friday, Dec. 3, 2021. This is the final home game of 2021 as the Ravens return to regular season matchups January 2022. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team split the last weekend of their 2021 season with a crucial win Dec. 3 versus the Bishop’s Gaiters and a tough loss Dec. 5 against the uOttawa Gee-Gees.

Dec. 3: 1-0 win versus Bishop’s

After the 9-0 beatdown Carleton endured last weekend against Concordia, the Ravens bounced back in their third matchup against Bishop’s this season, this time at the Ice House.

The first period began with a tough early save by Carleton goaltender Marie-Ève Côté that set the tone for the rest of the game. Côté continued to put on a clinic, only leading to frustration for Bishop’s attackers and chippiness in front of the Carleton net.

Despite being outshot 10-4 in the first, Ravens forward Stephanie Chouchani managed to score a late tap-in goal off a cross ice pass from defender Kate Lengyel. It proved to be the only goal in the game.

The chippiness continued into the second period as Bishop’s showed good early pressure, managing consistent zone time in the Ravens’ end. Côté’s goaltending remained solid through the second and the penalty kill was put to the test after Carleton forward Jackie Grosso was sent to the box for an illegal hit to the head.

The third period was a back-and-forth of power plays. Carleton started down a player and managed to kill off the penalty before the Ravens got a power play of their own, but were unable to capitalize. Ravens forward Sydney Berta was penalized for body contact and it was back to the penalty kill for Carleton.

The final two minutes of the third were a frenzy with a frustrated Gaiters team trying to force any offense they could. Chouchani sacrificed the body to make two crucial blocks and Côté faced a barrage after the Gaiters goalie was pulled.

Grosso was penalized again with 16 seconds remaining, but even the two-man advantage proved to be no issue for the Ravens as they sealed the 1-0 win despite being out-shot 22-10.

The Ravens also celebrated seniors night on Friday with a ceremony on the rink, recognizing graduating forwards Jordyn Pimm, Carly Wouters and Annie-Pier Tremblay for their contributions to the women’s hockey program.

The Ravens had a quick turnaround before Sunday’s game versus the uOttawa Gee-Gees. Head coach Pierre Alain said the main focus after the game was to “get some rest.”

“We need to have our legs ready so we can go out there and battle,” Alain said.

Dec. 5: 5-2 loss to uOttawa 

Carleton’s penalty trouble carried over from Friday, with forward Lanie Guimond sent to the box for body contact five minutes into the first. The Gee-Gees capitalized early on a sloppy penalty kill by the Ravens, going up 1-0.

Carleton got a chance of their own on a power play and scored off a Hayden Serniuk shot tucked in between the Gee-Gees goalie’s pad and the post. With eight minutes left in the period, the Gee-Gees took a four-minute head contact penalty but scored a short-handed goal on Carleton’s disorganized power play.

Guimond scored later on the same power play to tie it up before the end of the first.

The Ravens got off to a rough start in the second period, giving up a goal two minutes in. While both teams traded chances, uOttawa maintained most of the pressure and ended the period up 3-2.

While Carleton withstood a penalty to defender Lucie Quarto two minutes into the third period, uOttawa managed to score seconds after the penalty ended, taking a 4-2 lead.

The teams traded a handful of penalties in the last 10 minutes of the third, with penalties to Chouchani and Gee-Gees forward Alice Fillion and defender Ariane Minville. Carleton had a goal called off late in the third, as the referees determined it was scored with a kicking motion.

Raven Sydney Berta took one more tripping penalty with five minutes left and the Gee-Gees scored right at the end to put the final nail in the coffin of the 5-2 loss.

The Ravens will break for the holidays and return to the Ice House on Jan. 9 at 3 p.m. against the University of Montreal Carabins.