The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team earned their second win of the season on Nov. 4 when they defeated the McGill University Martlets by a score of 4-2 at the Ice House. The win over the Martlets was historic for the Ravens, as it marked their second win over McGill on home ice in the history of the program.

But the Ravens were unable to string together consecutive wins however, as they fell to the Concordia University Stingers by a score of 3-0 two days later.

The Ravens found the back of the net early in the game against the Martlets. Five minutes into the first period, Ravens forward Leah Scott fired a shot past Martlets goaltender Tricia Deguire to open the scoring.

McGill tied up the game with eight minutes to go in the opening frame when Martlets forward Jade Downie scored on the power play.

Despite the game being tied at one goal apiece after the first period, the Martlets heavily outshot the Ravens 14-2.

Midway through the second period, Ravens captain Tawnya Guindon took a pass from Delaney Ross and sent a backhand shot past Deguire to regain the lead for the Ravens.

With two minutes to go in the period, Ravens defender Jennifer Semkowski scored on a breakaway opportunity to extend the lead.

McGill was able to answer back quickly when Downie scored her second power play goal of the night with only 20 seconds remaining in the period.

The Ravens took control in the third period, as they held the Martlets to only one shot on goal in the final 20 minutes.

Guindon scored her second goal of the night midway through the period to wrap up the scoring for the Ravens.

Despite the victory, Ravens head coach Pierre Alain said he felt there are still areas his team needs to improve in, such as the power play unit that is one-for-25 on the season.

“We need to work on stuff, we need to score on power plays—power plays are still not producing,” Alain said. “In five-on-five and on the [penalty kill], they’re doing great but we have to produce on the power plays.”

In their first match-up against the Stingers this season, the Ravens were heavily outplayed, as they lost 3-0 and were outshot 37-8.

Devon Thompson opened the scoring midway through the second period when she scored her first of the season. Stingers forward Audrey Belzile scored less than two minutes later to extend Concordia’s lead.

Stingers forward Claudia Dubois scored an insurance marker on the power play to seal the win for Concordia.

The power play continued to struggle for the Ravens, as they were unable to score on three opportunities.

“We didn’t play our game,” Alain said following the loss. “We didn’t follow the game plan and we came up short.”

“We lost 3-0 and that was not a very good game for us,” he said.

The Ravens play their next game at the Ice House on Nov. 14 when they take on the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees.