File photo

The Carleton Ravens football team’s season came to an end Nov. 5 after a 51-24 defeat to the University of Western Ontario Mustangs in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) semifinal.

“It’s a terrible feeling,” said Ravens fourth-year receiver Nate Behar. “A lot of these guys have given most of their lives for this program and you feel like you didn’t do enough.”

Carleton started the game with the ball, but quarterback Jesse Mills threw an interception to Western defensive back Mackenzie Ferguson, who returned it 42 yards down the field.

Two plays later, Western quarterback Chris Merchant completed a quick pass to running back Tom Marshall for the game’s first score.

With little time remaining in the first quarter, Western handed the ball to running back Cedric Joseph who ran six yards for his first of four touchdowns in the game.

“I think the first quarter was the biggest problem. You can’t start off slow,” Behar said. “Once you get to the semifinals of the Yates Cup, it’s all the top teams in the nation and you can’t start off slow against a top team and expect to win.”

In the second quarter, Carleton responded with Mills throwing a pass to London native Behar for a 13-yard touchdown.

Soon after the touchdown, Ravens kicker Michael Domagala added a field goal to cut Western’s lead to 14-10.

Midway through the second quarter, Western responded with Merchant finding receiver Henry McMaster deep down the field for a 44-yard touchdown.

Six minutes later, Western handed the ball to Joseph who scored another touchdown on a one-yard run.

Western added to their lead when Marshall caught a pass from backup quarterback Stevenson Bone to put the Mustangs up 35-10.

With under a minute left in the first half, Mills found wide receiver Dexter Brown for a 56-yard touchdown to cut the deficit to 18 heading into halftime.

In the second half, Western extended their lead after Joseph added his third touchdown run to put the home squad up by a score of 43-17.

Carleton tried to build a comeback early in the fourth quarter when Mills found Wilson Birch for a 41-yard touchdown.

The Ravens were unable to generate any more offence however, as the Mustangs added a rouge point and a touchdown to close out the game.

While the season is over for the Ravens, the Mustangs will now prepare to take on the Laurier University Golden Hawks in the 109th Yates Cup on Nov. 12.