Ottawa Fringe is gearing up to showcase another blend of new and contemporary works by  local, national and international artists at its 12th annual Undercurrents: Theater Under the Mainstream festival from April 20 to 30.

Since 2011, Undercurrents has hosted 21 world premieres, offering emerging and established Canadian artists a professional stage to present more than 17 original productions. This year’s festival will take place in-person at the Arts Court in downtown Ottawa.

Alain Richer, executive director of Undercurrents, said he expects this “winter” version of the summer fringe festival to showcase several notable stories, tackling deep, political and social themes in an approachable and light-hearted way. 

My Good Friend Jay, a play by emerging artist Montana Adams, is one of two productions returning to the festival in an extended version after previously debuting while still in development towards its final version.

My Good Friend Jay, a play by emerging artist Montana Adams, is one of two productions returning to the festival in an extended version after previously debuting while still in development towards its final version. [Photo by Randy Schmucker and image art by Matt Hertendy]
Adams’ play tells the story of the Mohawks of Akwesasne. It follows the intricacies and nightmares that arose during their life on land that’s split between four jurisdictions: one district in Ontario, two in Quebec and one in New York state. 

Alli Harris, a writer and performer at this year’s festival, said she’s really excited to be performing live again after the COVID-19 pandemic restricted in-person shows.

“I’m excited to be able to perform comedy in front of folks,” Harris said. “I haven’t done it in person as much in the last year or so, so that excitement of a live crowd is definitely something I’m looking forward to.”

Together with actor AL Connors, Harris will perform Camp BFF4E, an interactive musical show that blends comedy with original music. 

AL Connors and Alli Harris will perform Camp BFF4E, an interactive musical show that blends comedy with original music, at this years festival. [Photo provided by the Ottawa Fringe Festival]
“I’m hoping to take some risks, get super silly and have a good time with the audience,” Harris said. “There’s a bit of audience participation but nothing that singles anyone out. I’m hoping folks can buy into it.”  

Another group excited to take the stage and play some new material is Yarns, an interdisciplinary collaboration between Franco-Belgian musician Martin Dawagne and Anglo-Canadian actress Magan Carty.

In an email statement to the Charlatan, Dawagne said this opportunity to perform in-person again means a lot to him too. 

“Two years before the pandemic, playing shows had become an integral part of my life, so it has been hard not to be able to perform for such a long stretch,” Dawagne wrote. “Getting back to playing shows with such a big opportunity is quite epic.”

Dawagne said audiences at their show can expect an hour of multi-layered music played by one person and interlaced with autobiographical poetry.

Richer said the in-person festival will require masks, proof of vaccination and reduced capacity seating to help patrons feel welcome and safe in the return to the in person programming.

Something in the Water, a production created and performed by S.E. Grummett, is the only show that will be offered virtually in an effort by organizers to remain accessible to patrons who can’t make it in-person. The show will be available on-demand following its in-person viewing on April 24. 

“What’s great about this is that it’s a performer and group from Saskatchewan who are unable to come [to Ottawa] because of COVID,” Richer said. “So we are still able to support their work and watch their work from afar in this way.”

Richer also noted that ASL interpretive and sensory-friendly performances are going to be a part of the festival to make it as accessible as possible.

The festival begins on April 20 at 7 p.m. and tickets can be purchased here.

Featured image by Matt Hertendy.