Social media application are seen on a person phone [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

How often do you aimlessly scroll through your social media? Do you allow yourself to feel bored?

In today’s age of TikTok and technology, many people have become immune to boredom. Opportunities for distraction have grown incrementally, keeping us constantly stimulated. Mobile devices have become an inseparable commodity attached to us like a spare limb. We pull them out without a pause when we are faced with insufficiently stimulating situations. Boredom has been replaced with scrolling, but is scrolling a harmless replacement? 

States of boredom that would, before the days of modern technology, result in laying around and staring at the ceiling, have now been replaced with scrolling and watching short clips that keep the dopamine dragon on its hamster wheel. Scrolling releases just enough reward chemicals in our system to provoke a rush of ephemeral thrill, but never enough to reach satisfaction, which keeps the scrolling protracted.

Studies have found that excessive mobile device usage can result in mental health challenges such as addiction, low self-esteem, depression and anxiety. What if, while standing in a boring lineup, we let ourselves simply idle instead of reaching for our pockets? 

The opposite of scrolling: boredom

Types of brain waves [Graphic by Misha Jan].
First, we need to understand how human brainwaves operate. Essentially, when we allow ourselves to be bored, we give our brains a break from the constant overload of information and stimuli which produces slower brainwaves. Boredom is a form of indirect meditation that has been shown to put us in alpha and theta brainwave states. allowing us to be more attentive and relaxed in your day-to-day life. Thus increasing productivity, progression, and processing emotions without having to consciously sit down and meditate. This article explores the three Ps of boredom and the dangers of scrolling.
  1. Progression 

Mental space gives rise to innovation. Have you noticed some of the best ideas come to you in the shower? Creative insight and ideas are most likely to come to us during incubation periods—time spent refraining from task-oriented thinking or engaging in highly stimulating distractions. This is because during boredom, the brain enters alpha and theta states which increase creativity.

Allowing the mind to be idle motivates the pursuit of new goals. Instead of instinctually distracting yourself with fruitless activities, allow yourself to become present by sitting with yourself for a little while and see what will come up when your brainwaves slow down. 

1. Productivity

Productivity is gradually increased when individuals periodically embrace boredom. Overexposure to highly stimulating experiences, such as mobile phone use or constant scrolling, increases reward sensitivity and thus, your immunity to ‘awe’ which can evolve into anhedonia. Anhedonia is an extreme result of a maximized reward sensitivity that results in a monotonous state of existence. People experiencing Anhedonia are unable to experience pleasure and are rarely amused. 

Problematic mobile phone usage is directly correlated with high reward sensitivity. This is due to less dopamine being released in high reward-sensitive individuals during activities, meaning motivation declines as reward sensitivity increases. By embracing boredom, you actively reduce your reward sensitivity, and accelerate your motivation, drive and overall productivity. 

1. Processed emotions

Many of us have an unconscious habit of running from our emotions, but healing is done through feeling. When was the last time you sat with your emotions without distracting yourself from them, judging them, or turning them into a story? 

If you are constantly avoiding idle moments by distracting yourself or finding stimulating alternatives, you run the risk of having unprocessed emotions. Unprocessed emotions play out in defense mechanisms such as projection, denial, or passive aggression. Occasionally allowing yourself to feel bored and be present allows unconscious emotions to arise and process. 

Boredom is an essential part of our human experience and it is important to avoid the urge to be constantly distracted. Embracing boredom may lead to a stronger connection with yourself and what is important to you, adding joy and clarity to your life. Instead of scrolling through social media at every boring moment, try having an ‘incubation period’ for yourself from time to time and see how it impacts your life.