The account has received major backlash, and some support, from other Twitter users. (Photo illustration by Pedro Vasconcellos)

A “fashion police” Twitter account allegedly created by University of Windsor students has been deactivated following criticism online.

The anonymous @uWinFashionPoli Twitter account has, for months, been posting photos of students at the university and critiquing their fashion sense. One @uWinFashionPoli tweet reads, “If more people were well-dressed we’d be all over it,” according to online database Topsy, which saves tweets.

“Dear the girl wearing a blue glitter sequin top: It is barely 10am. Stop it,” said one tweet from Sept. 6.

“Wow, those leggings really emphasize the outline of your privates,” said another from Aug. 1.

The account has received major backlash from other Twitter users, including a twitter account @fashiondefence, that appears to be created in response.

“Thank god @uwinfashionpoli is here to judge women on their appearances. There really isn’t enough of that in our society,” @fashiondefence tweeted Oct. 17.

Another Twitter user, @frozenredhead wrote, “@uWinFashionPoli belittling poor uni students for not having time, money for fashion; snotty, classist, bigoted ‘mean girls.”

The account’s actions were defined by Windsor’s police as “cyberbullying,” according to the CBC.

University of Waterloo student Roni Travis agrees that the Twitter account was indeed bullying.

“I would definitely say that it is wrong and it’s almost an invasion of their privacy because they were posting their pictures on the internet for other people to see,” Travis said.

Carleton University student Billy Francis said he feels there’s a more constructive way the account could have been used.

“It would be better if they took pictures of people who are wearing clothes that are ‘in fashion’ and posted that,” he said. “That would make people feel better about themselves, while also making the same point.”

Although the Twitter account found itself attracting opposition, it has also attracted supporters. One Twitter user, @neenadrk posted, “@MDunningg: Dress clothes, white socks and new balance running shoes… Where are some people’s heads at? @uWinFashionPoli.”

Sherin Kalasius, a first-year University of Guelph-Humber student said the Twitter account is being made into more than it is.

“If the pictures were showing the people’s faces, I would say that it is cyber-bullying because you’re directly saying the comments to them in a way,” she said.

“But if they just show from the neck down, without knowing who the person in the photo is, then I would say that it is their freedom of speech.”