Canadian universities are doing more to educate incoming students about the risks of sexual violence in light of increased awareness about the “Red Zone.”

The Red Zone is a term used by experts to describe a period where there’s an increase in sexual assault on campuses.

According to a 2015 study by the University of Pennsylvania, female students are at an increased risk for sexual assault during the first few weeks of university, especially in their first year of school.

The study suggests that female first-year students may become sexually victimized because they were more likely to be invited to parties on campus, but it’s unclear why there’s disproportionate attention given to first-year women from male partygoers and organizers.

Lynn Thera, head of Counselling Services at the University of Regina (U of R), said the school launched a campaign at the beginning of the school year to tell students about this heightened risk of sexual assault.  

She said that it is important to start talking about the Red Zone, and the university has now developed a campaign focusing on debunking myths and understanding consent.

Thera said they are trying to look at the positive aspects of the campaign.

“We are trying to create a community of caring,” she said. 

Niagara College’s Sexual Violence and Sexual Assault Task Force launched the Consent is Key campaign in early September, according to a news release.

“The campaign focuses on the importance of consent—the voluntary and explicit agreement to engage in sexual activity—as key in preventing sexual assault and sexual violence. The definition of consent emphasizes that silence or non-communication cannot be interpreted as consent. In other words, consent is key,” the news release stated.

The college’s campaign follows the implementation of its sexual assault practice and protocol released in 2015 which outlines what students should do if they experience or witness sexual assault or violence on campus.

Brock University, who saw several of its students being accused of sexual assault, also emphasized consent during its Welcome Week.

According to their website, the university held an event called “Zero Shades of Grey” where students learned about how consent is important for any healthy relationship.

Incoming students at Brock also learned about safe partying, and explored creative options for mocktails through a virtual reality game.

This year, Carleton University’s Sexual Assault Support Services (CASS) is hosting #IBelieveYou day on Sept. 26 which originated in Alberta. Their goal is to start a conversation about how the university and students can support survivors of sexual violence.

Bailey Reid, equity advisor and co-ordinator of CASS, said Equity Services will attend any event they are invited to to talk about sexual violence. The department also does a lot of tabling to promote awareness, she said.

In addition, first-year residence students are given a training session on sexual violence and consent.

If you’ve been a victim of sexual violence, contact: 

On-campus: 

Campus Safety

Emergencies: 613-520-4444

Sexual Assault Support Centre

613-520-5622

Off-campus: 

Ottawa Police Service

Emergencies: 911 

General Inquiries: 613-236-1222

Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre
24 hour crisis line: 613-562-2333

Photo by Graham Swaney