After the quarter final action of the 2020 U Sports men’s basketball Final 8 championship on March 6, the Western Mustangs, UBC Thunderbirds, Dalhousie Tigers and Carleton Ravens all move on to the semi finals.

Western Mustangs 86-72 Alberta Golden Bears

The first quarter final matchup was a matinee upset, where the fifth-seed Western squad beat fourth-seed Alberta 86-72. Despite a weak first quarter, the OUA runner-up corralled the game thanks to fast breaks and 3-point fortune.

Alberta held a huge height advantage over Western, which they exploited under the hoop to dominate the first quarter 24-11. The victory seemed guaranteed for the Canada West runner-up, but Western revamped their strategy to use their speed against Alberta’s longer arms.

“We had to adjust to their size,” Mustangs Player of the Game Omar Shiddo explained.

In the second quarter, Western seized the game and never let go. Their outside shots were perfect, converting every 3-pointer attempted in the quarter. They overtook the game with a 21-point unanswered streak to finish the half.

Led by their player of the game Brody Clarke, the Golden Bears resurfaced in the third to shave the deficit. Western ensured the win in the fourth though, containing Alberta’s desperate attack until the final buzzer signalled their 86-72 victory.

Carleton Ravens 82-66 Calgary Dinos

The Carleton Ravens downed the Calgary Dinos thanks to strong performances from Isiah Osborne, Biniam Grebrekidan and Lloyd Pandi. Read the full length recap here.

UBC Thunderbirds 103-66 Bishop Gaiters

In the third match of the day, the third-seeded UBC Thunderbirds crushed the sixth-ranked Bishop’s University Gaiters 103-66.

The game pitted the Canada West champion against the RSEQ title-holder, but the Thunderbirds clearly asserted dominance from the opening whistle.

UBC thrived early by creatively driving the hoop and playing tight defence against the Gaiters.

The Thunderbirds contested every shot Bishop’s took, holding them pointless for nearly five minutes to begin the game. At the end of the first, the Thunderbirds were cushioned by a commanding 31-13 lead.

In the second quarter, the Gaiters rediscovered a groove. Led by their player of the game Ibrahim Ngom, Bishop’s outscored UBC 15-10 by restricting UBC’s player of the game Grant Audu to only two baskets.

Their momentum proved useless in the third quarter though, where a reinvigorated Audu and Jadon Cohee erupted for UBC. The third quarter cemented UBC’s victory, finishing 75-49 in their favour and easing them into an equally forceful final ten minutes.

Their unstoppable offence barred the Gaiters from mounting a comeback, crafting to a colossal 103-66 victory.

Dalhousie Tigers 67-63 Ottawa Gee-Gees

The final game of the day featured hometown heartache, as the hosting seventh-seed Ottawa Gee-Gees fell to second-ranked Dalhousie Tigers 67-63.

The AUS champions did not wring an easy win though as it was a tight game over four quarters. For the first five minutes, both teams together only totalled a nine-point output.

Midway through the quarter though, offence ignited on both ends courtesy of senior point guard Calvin Epistola for the Gee-Gees and Tigers player of the game, Keevan Veinot.

Neither effort tilted the score though, as the quarter ended 17-17.

The second quarter mirrored the first as a back-and-forth showdown. A dynamic Epistola continued to impress for Ottawa. Dalhousie answered each of his excellent baskets however, producing an even score of 31-31 by the final buzzer.

The score momentarily swung to each side throughout the third quarter before settling 48-46 for Dalhousie.

The Gee-Gees overtook the first few minutes thanks to a pair of crucial baskets from Ottawa’s player of the game Guillaume Pepin, but Dalhousie retaliated with an 11-point uninterrupted streak to carve a slight edge heading into the fourth quarter.

Heavy tension hovered above the hometown crowd in the final ten minutes. Veinot gleamed for the Tigers, guiding Dalhousie to an 8-point run from which uOttawa never recovered.

The final minutes were frantic, but despite the Gee-Gees’ pressure, Dalhousie prevailed against the hosts 67-63.

“It was a very energetic game, it was hostile, their fans were incredible,” Veinot said after the game. “It was a great atmosphere to play in.”

Western will now face Carleton in the first semi final match on March 7 at 6 p.m. at TD Place. UBC will face Dalhousie later on at 8 p.m.

The men’s consolation semi finals will be played at the Ravens’ Nest, presenting a provincial showdown between Alberta and Calgary at 1 p.m. followed by Gee-Gees battling Bishop’s at 5 p.m.

Feature image by Tim Austen.