Editor’s note: Statistical information provided by the U Sports website was incorrect, the Charlatan has issued a correction to reflect that. 

It’s on to the U Sports women’s finals for the number-one seeded Saskatchewan Huskies after a commanding 76-57 win over the Laval Rouge et Or on Saturday afternoon.

Saskatchewan, making their seventh consecutive nationals appearance and their 12th in the last 13 years, jumped out to an early lead in the first quarter and led by at least 16 points for most of the game.
With Megan Ahlstrom, Libby Epoch, Kyla Shand, and Summer Masikewich firing on all cylinders, the Huskies looked as good as ever.
Ahlstrom, a senior, led the team with 16 points and 11 rebounds over 27 minutes.
“Our first quarter is when our defense really shined,” said Ahlstrom.
The Huskies played to an 18-2 record in the regular season, tying the program record for fewest losses in a season. When Saskatchewan also lost only two games in the 2015-16 season, they went on to win gold.
Still, head coach Lisa Thomaidis believes the team is more ready this year than it has been before.
“Our team is quite a bit deeper than we were in 2015-16,” said Thomaidis. “We’ve been through this and we’re ready for it.”
In the first quarter, the Huskies took complete control limiting Laval to only six points compared to the 14 they put up and in the second quarter, their offensive strength didn’t let up.
At halftime, the Huskies lead 35-17.
Coming out of the locker room, Laval was able to get the best of the Huskies going 20-18 in the third quarter. However, they weren’t able to close in on Saskatchewan’s lead.
Carrie-Ann Auger led Laval with 17 points, followed by Maude Archambault with nine.
“Sure, we lost, but we lost to a great team,” said Auger. “We still have a medal to go in to tomorrow.”
Laval will play the UPEI Panthers, who lost 69-55 to the Brock Badgers, in the bronze medal game on March 8 at 12 p.m. at TD Place.
Later on, Saskatchewan will be up against the Brock Badgers in the gold medal game at 5 p.m.
“The way I see Brock playing is they’re just fearless,” said Thomaidis. “They don’t seem to be playing with any pressure at all.”

Feature image by Spencer Colby