A new U of T research project aims to recommend anti-racist policies to the OUA. [Photo by Tim Austen]

An anti-racism research project at the University of Toronto is aiming to address racial inequality in Ontario university varsity sports.

Assistant professor Janelle Joseph from U of T’s Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education has partnered with Ontario University Athletics (OUA) to assess the racial demographics and the experiences of OUA athletes, coaches and sports administrators with racism. 

The purpose of the research is to recommend anti-racist policies, practices and training to the OUA.

All OUA members, regardless of race, are encouraged to take a 15-minute survey to share their experiences with racial inequity within their athletics community. The survey included questions about athletes, coaches and sports administrators’ experiences with racial discrimination and what anti-racist actions they think need to be taken. 

“If changing the racial representation and experiences of discrimination are priorities—because we know some racial groups are being harassed, excluded or not promoted—we need to find a way to collect and share race-based data,” Joseph said in a statement to the Charlatan.

The research was inspired by another recent project by the members of the OUA’s Black, Biracial, and Indigenous (BBI) task force and the Black Canadian Coaches Association (BCCA). The BCCA and the BBI task force created a database of  personal accounts of racial inequity in U Sports last year.

An October 2020 report by the BBI task force found the OUA lacked a zero tolerance anti-racism policy and adequate racialized leadership. It noted BIPOC student athletes felt emotionally and mentally unsupported and that there was inadequate understanding of race-related concepts affecting athletics and society.

Hediyeh Karimian, head of BCCA’s racial equity project, emphasized the importance of BIPOC researchers such as Joseph leading anti-racism research. Karimian met Joseph through the BCCA and hopes to take the project countrywide and provide more anti-racism training.

“It [the study] is going to validate the things that we already know in a concrete research study, that’s going to be, ‘Listen, this is from the members. This isn’t just us saying that we’re aesthetically seeing [racial inequity] this way,’” Karimian said.

Devon Bowyer, a U of T Varsity Blues soccer player whose parents are Trinidadian and Tobagonian, said he was dissatisfied with the limited support for BIPOC athletes.

“When I’m playing on the soccer team, it’s a predominantly white team. I need someone else as the only BIPOC folk on the team,” Bowyer said. “Stuff can be said on the field or off the field in the changeroom, and those stories matter.”

The BIPOC Varsity Association (BVA) was later founded by Varsity Blues athletes in summer 2020 and is collaborating on the project with Joseph. 

Fiona Huang, BVA head of administration and Varsity Blues track and field athlete, called Joseph’s anti-racism project “monumental.” She said she hopes to create a more inclusive, safe and welcoming environment for OUA athletes.

“We want to identify these under-represented groups and want to hold ourselves and our institution accountable and just assess our progress towards equity, diversity and inclusion,” Huang said.

Huang, whose parents are Chinese, said she had few Asian athletic role models in her small hometown of Hay River, N.W.T. 

She said she appreciates KPE’s support for the BVA and emphasized the need for BIPOC leaders within the OUA.

A.J. Bimm, co-founder of the BVA and Varsity Blues track and field athlete, said the success and well-being of BIPOC athletes requires support from coaches and teammates who can directly relate to their experiences. These experiences could be subtle racist microaggressions on and off the field and systemic barriers.

“Canada is this place that’s celebrated for being so diverse and multicultural, but we’re not seeing that within athletics,” said Bimm, whose mother is Trinidadian and Tobagonian.

“What would be great is to see a representation that’s reflective of the demographic within the respective institutions.”

Going forward, the U of T athletic community said they hope to promote racial equality and believe collecting adequate race-based data within the OUA is the first step to fill the gaps of under-representation throughout Ontario’s varsity athletics.

“We’re stronger together and there should not be a divide between BIPOC and non-BIPOC,” Huang said. “Everyone should come together, working towards the common goal of anti-oppression and equity, diversity and inclusion, and just fostering a community of support within the athletic environment.”

Featured image by Tim Austen.