Photo by Julien Gignac.

The University of Ottawa (U of O) men’s hockey team will be hitting the ice for the 2016-17 season, after it was suspended in February 2014 following an alleged sexual assault involving two of the team’s players.

The school extended the team’s suspension through 2015-16 in January, but U of O Sports Services said it has implemented measures to create a more appropriate environment for a re-launch, according to a press release from the school.

New measures created in the wake of the team’s suspension include forming a task force on respect and equality that would train all U of O varsity athletes and competitive club athletes at the school in learning about harassment and sexual violence.

Other measures include the creation of several committees by Sports Services consisting of members of U of O alumni, including a committee for the business side of the team re-launch, one to find a new head coach, and one for ethics and discipline, according to Sports Services director Marc Schryburt.

Among the alumni are Ottawa Senators team president Cyril Leeder and former Senators head coach Jacques Martin.

“I said to the university that we’re going to need a lot of help—we’re starting almost from scratch,” Schryburt said. “Our biggest asset is we have such a big history behind us and that means a lot of alumni support.”

He said mandatory training sessions are also in place for behaviour inside and outside of the game, and include everything from doping to equity and respecting women.

“They have to be there, but it’s an engaging process. It’s not them just sitting down and listening to somebody talk to them or give them the moral of something,” Schryburt said.

He said he recently sat down with varsity head coaches at the school to make sure the values brought up in the seminars are embedded in student athletes.

“Instead of me dictating and saying, ‘follow these rules, sign off on this,’ [we’ll] get them to reflect.” Schryburt said, “We’re organizing something as simple as brainstorming sessions. I want them to come up with solutions and things that will affect their daily activities while representing the team.”