Photo by Julien Gignac.

The federal government is abolishing GST taxes on feminine hygiene products, set to take effect July 1.

A bill to end a tax on products including tampons, menstrual cups, sanitary napkins, and sanitary belts passed through the House of Commons May 28 with support from all political parties.

Jill Piebiak, a recent Concordia University masters’ graduate, spearheaded a campaign to end the tampon tax, with her online petition receiving over 74,000 signatures.

Piebiak said she feels her victory was a step in the right direction for women’s equality.

“It’s an ecstatic feeling. The government made the amendment on May 28, which is global menstruation day,” she said. “We really didn’t know what would happen.”

Conservative MP Michelle Rempel said she tabled the bill sooner than most expected because it put more money in the pockets of Canadians.

“We have a very strong track record of keeping taxes low and this is another example of our government removing the tax burden on Canadians,” Rempel said.

NDP MP Irene Mathyssen, said she was elated when the bill passed, citing its success to the strength and determination of women.

“Men don’t menstruate. Men dominate the legislature and it was something that was brought to my attention in the early 90s but it just didn’t impact them,” Mathyssen said. “Fifty-one per cent of the population should not be marginalized or dismissed.”

Individuals purchasing tampons will be saving five per cent of sales tax. The government will have $36 million less in tax revenue.

Ben Gallagher, a second-year Carleton economics student, said he supports the nixing of the tax.

“It’s a step in the right direction for gender equality, because everyone can agree that tampons are necessary items,” Gallagher said. “It makes sense not to tax something so essential to women. I mean, I don’t pay taxes on bread.”