(Photo by Oliver Sachgau)

The Thunder Bay Police Service released an online update March 12 regarding their ongoing sexual assault investigation implicating the University of Ottawa men’s hockey team.

Investigators from both the Thunder Bay Police Service and the area’s RCMP detachment are in Ottawa conducting interviews with “persons connected to the University of Ottawa hockey program,” according to the statement.

The report said that “this phase of the investigation is expected to take several days.”

Members of the Ottawa Police Service are also assisting with the investigation, but said they were unable to comment any further on the proceedings as the investigation is primarily under Thunder Bay Police Service jurisdiction.

The alleged sexual assault occurred against an adult woman during the weekend of Feb. 1, 2014. Police launched the investigation after receiving a third-party complaint Feb. 25.

Patrick Charette, University of Ottawa’s communications director, said via email the school’s decision to suspend the men’s hockey program is “pending an internal review into allegations of misconduct involving some of the players on the team.”

“Given the serious nature of the allegations, suspending the program is the right decision at this time,” Charette said.