Students at the University of Alberta (U of A) have recently created healthy and more convenient alternatives to every-day leisure items.

Akash Gupta, a fourth-year chemical engineering student, designed a lipstick that he said is made out of healthier ingredients than that of other brands on the market.

He said during a shopping trip with his mother and sister, he read the ingredient list of a lipstick. He said when he realized the underlying harm in the chemicals used, he began brainstorming ingredients for a healthy alternative.

After sharing his idea with his colleague Sravya Kalyanapu, the two cofounded Seleste, a lipstick brand that uses only natural ingredients, according to him.

“It took us about a year to create the perfect formula that provides hydration while giving rich pigment. Throughout the year, the formula went through multiple iterations, consumer testing and reformulation,” Gupta said in an email.

According to Gupta, the lipsticks feature ingredients such as beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and clay. Each lipstick retails for $20.

He added that Seleste has a philanthropic aspect that also helps set the brand aside from others on the market.

“Every lipstick a customer purchases helps someone in need across the world. The company’s first project helped 180 underprivileged girls in India fight anemia,” Gupta said.

A portion of the proceeds from the lipsticks goes to help support and educate women in “third world countries,” according to the Seleste website.

“Today’s customers are becoming increasingly wary of what goes into making their products. Even more, they care about the story behind the brands they buy and whether or not they will have a positive impact through their purchase,” Gupta said.

He said he hopes to see Seleste become “the brand of choice” in the future.

Re-inventing the bong 

Gupta and Kalyanapu weren’t the only students at the U of A to design something new.

Simon Grigenas and his colleagues at BRNT designs (pronounced “burnt”) have created a new bong design.

Andrew Feltham, a co-creator of the ceramic bong, said in an email the goal was to create a bong that is easy to use and functional. He said his colleague also hoped to create something that was “sleek.”

“The ease of cleaning was also a huge concern,” Feltham said.

BRNT’s design involves a hexagon shape, creating an easier grip for users. Feltham added that the bong is dishwasher and freezer safe and is made of ceramic glass.

“The dishwasher-safe feature is something we are very proud of,” Feltham said.

According to him, the dishwasher safe feature allows the bong to look brand new even after heavy use.

He said BRNT worked hard to create their ideal version of the bong.

They began by making virtual 3D models and then had plastic models produced in order to test the bong in terms of sizing. Following this, they ordered the ceramic versions from a ceramic studio located in the United States, Feltham said.

“Having everything handmade in North America is something we take pride in,” he added.

In regards to testing the bong, Feltham explained the various processes undergone to ensure the design was complete in terms of meeting their standards.

“With the first 25 units we did numerous drop tests and the only one that failed was a two foot drop onto a concrete pad. However, when we put a thin rug on over it, the bong was completely fine. We also dropped it from four feet onto carpet and the bong was unscathed,” he said.

The overall design and manufacturing process took BRNT about three months.

While the bong is not yet available for sale, BRNT will be launching a crowdfunding campaign on Nov. 6, according to their website.

“Our next product will most likely be a ceramic pipe and further down the road a bigger bong as well as different colors for the bongs. We are also looking at making rolling trays in the future,” Feltham said.

He said so far the response from his friends, family, and past co-workers has been positive.

“Most of them were all taken by surprise when they found out I was a cannabis user . . . however I think it has helped change the way people think about individuals that smoke marijuana,” Feltham said.