Last year, Carleton University’s Frosh Week was bottled-water-free for the first time. This year, the University of Ottawa has followed by banning the sale of bottled water across its campuses not just for its own orientation week, but all year long.

On Sept. 1, U of O became the first school in Ontario to stop selling bottled water on all its campuses, according to a school press release.

This is one of many initiatives the university has recently taken, working toward its goal of reducing energy consumption by 2 per cent every year. As a result, students and faculty will have to find alternative ways to get water.

“I think stopping the sale of bottled water is a great thing for the environment, especially since there are water fountains available in every building on campus,” said first-year law student Sarah Cantin.

Other students said they have reservations. “This is a great idea for the environment, but I hope it won’t encourage the students that are a little lazier to go out and buy drinks that may not be as be as beneficial to their health,” said Karine Godin-Lambert, a second-year science student.

As a way to promote this new initiative, university president Allan Rock, along with representatives from U of O’s student associations, distributed free metal water bottles to students, the press release said.

The release said the bottled water ban has encouraged the university to invest $75,000 a year to improve water fountains around campus.

Jonathan Rausseo, head of the U of O anti-bottled water campaign, said the ban will also significantly reduce the amount of plastic waste on campus and encourage students to bring their own bottles and canteens for water.

Rausseo said student reactions have been more positive than negative so far.

“The ban does not prevent people from bringing their own water on campus and there are convenience stores located adjacent to campus where individuals can buy bottled water if they choose to do so,” said Rausseo.