Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.

Two candidates are running for the Political Science program seat in the Carleton Academic Student Government’s (CASG) elections. 

Ballots have been sent to students’ emails, and voting will be open until end of day Sept. 28.

Contested seats include those representing Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies (BComms) program, the Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management (PAPM) program and the Political Science program. Two candidates are running for each contested position.

Kennedy Elson and Michael Huynh are running for the open Political Science program seat.

Kennedy Elson 

Kennedy Elson is a first-year political science major. Elson said he is running to give a voice to every student at Carleton regardless of race, sex, class or gender.

“As someone who is gay, I’ve been excluded from activities and events simply because of who I am,” he wrote in an email to the Charlatan. “I want to fight to ensure that no one here at Carleton has to face bigotry in any of its forms.”

His goals include lobbying OC Transpo and the Carleton administration for more frequent trips to combat problems with overcrowded buses. He also hopes to create a hotline for students to anonymously report issues and suggest solutions.

Elson believes his experience working as a supervisor at No Frills has equipped him with leadership and problem-solving skills.

“I want to leverage my experience in leadership to make Carleton a better place for all,” he said.

Michael Huynh

Michael Huynh is a first-year political science major. He hopes to advocate on issues affecting political science students as their representative.

“I’m personally advocating for some sort of mentorship program between upper-year students and some folks that are just coming in [to] ensure they get those social interactions,” Huynh said. 

He also said he hopes to create ways to help students manage rising tuition costs.

“I’m personally advocating that we continue or revise some of those bursaries that CASG introduced during the pandemic in order to ensure that these students can continue to be successful,” Huynh said.

If elected, Huynh said he will also push for students belonging to minority groups at Carleton to feel represented.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.