Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.

Two candidates are running for the Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management (PAPM) seat in the Carleton Academic Student Government’s (CASG) elections. 

Ballots have been sent to students’ emails, and voting will be open until end of day Sept. 28.

Contested seats include those representing Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies (BComms) program, the Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management (PAPM) program and the Political Science program. Two candidates are running for each contested position.

David Noonan and Allan Buri are running for the open PAPM seat.

David Noonan

David Noonan is a fourth-year PAPM student specializing in Public Policy & Administration. A former CUSA council candidate, Noonan said he now believes CASG is the most effective way for him to help the student body.

“I’m a big believer in transparency and accountability,” Noonan said, adding he wants to avoid CASG suffering the internal affairs problems that CUSA has faced over the past few years.

Noonan served as a student-at-large on CUSA’s Policy and Constitutional Review Committee, and was a senator for the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board in high school. He has also worked administrative summer jobs for the provincial and federal governments.

Noonan said students should vote for him because he is a devoted and committed public servant. 

“I’m not much into the political side of things, but when it comes to representing and working for the people that I’ve been elected by, I try my best to fulfil the task at hand,” he said.

Allan Buri

Allan Buri is a first-year PAPM student minoring in French. 

He has been a high school student senator as well as a student representative for his school board’s parent council. 

During this time, Buri said he advocated for increased presence of mental health resources and resource hubs for academic support.

He also participated in major decisions regarding schooling during the pandemic, such as the transition to the quadmester model.

Buri said he wants to be accessible to first-year students and foster a generation of PAPM students who are engaged in CASG’s work. 

Few first-years are on the CASG council, he said, adding his perspective would be valuable in that regard.

Even if he loses the election, he said, “at least I guaranteed that our representative will be elected, not acclaimed, and should therefore value the position more.”

An earlier version of this article incorrectly spelled Allan Buri’s last name “Burin.” The Charlatan regrets the error. The article was last updated on Sept. 27 to reflect this change.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.