Angela Tilley

Ottawa Public Health (OPH) recently issued a warning to people living around the Rideau Canal, after a recent test of the canal found toxic algae blooming in the water.

Blue-green algae, sometimes called cyanobacteria, is a highly toxic type of algae that is harmful to ingest or touch, according to OPH.

After the algae was found on Sept. 6, the public health agency issued a warning to avoid swimming in the water, touching it, or eating fish from the canal.

Jesse Vermaire, a professor at Carleton who specializes in aquatic ecology, said in an email that the bacteria in the water was likely caused by the hot summer Ottawa had.

He said that a bloom of bacteria only occurs when there is a large amount of phosphorus in the water, or when the temperature is warmer than usual.

[Blue-green algae is] always in every type of water body, but it is when they are at very high concentrations [such as a bloom] that they become a hazard,” Vermaire said.  

Corrie Staff,  a second-year law and psychology student, said the news about the blue-green algae is concerning, as many Frosh events were held close to the water.

“It’s worrying that a lot of kids jumped into the water during Frosh,” she said.

According to HealthLink BC, blue-green algae poisoning manifests itself in different ways. Ingestion can lead to headaches, nausea, cramps and diarrhea, as well as blistering around the mouth. Coming into contact with infected water can lead to skin rashes, as well as irritated ears or eyes.

According to the website, those who have been infected by cyanobacteria should rinse any irritated skin right away, and see a healthcare professional.