Rob Shudra, a third-year industrial design student at Carleton, was recently named the national runner-up for the James Dyson Award after inventing an easier-to-use fire extinguisher.

Twist, a more ergonomic fire extinguisher, can be used more easily by both left- and right-handed people than a regular one, Shudra said over email.

He said he got the idea by looking into existing fire extinguishers, and noticing that they were dated and had significant problems.  

“The current design, while effective at actually extinguishing fires, lacks in other regards, such as usability and ergonomics,” he said.

Shudra’s redesign consists of a large circular barrel with a thicker handle and flexible hose, and works by rotating a ring 90 degrees so that it aligns with an opening near the nozzle, where a button pops up. The hose can be pulled out smoothly from an internal pivoting coil, allowing for better control while putting out fires. Shudra said the new features are a result of extensive testing.

Ehab Zalok, a civil and environmental engineering professor at Carleton, said Shudra’s design removes the element of nervousness that people face with a conventional extinguisher during an emergency. 

“The Twist makes using an extinguisher as easy as using an app on a smartphone,” he said in an email.

According to the award’s website, The Dyson award recognizes innovative ideas in the design and engineering fields, and Shudra’s invention placed highly among other inventions that could lead to a greener, healthier and safer future.

Competitors sent in a wide array of ideas, ranging from ergonomic high heels to portable solar cookers, but Shudra’s submission was the only recognized fire extinguisher.

On his website, Shudra said his invention is intended for police officers, as they are often those responsible for putting out small, but potentially dangerous fires. The size of the extinguisher is measured to fit in most car trunks.

Shudra said he noticed many people don’t carry extinguishers in their cars, even though a substantial percentage of fires occur around vehicles.

“[A] police cruiser will be the first responder to such fires, [so] officers must be well equipped to extinguish the fire effectively,” he said.

Shudra said he has high hopes for his invention, and that he believes the Twist can help deal with emergencies safely. His invention lets people stay away from danger, which he said is incredibly rewarding.

Zalok said that with proper training, the invention could help save many lives.

Shudra said it felt fantastic to be chosen as national runner up for the Dyson award.  He will be moving onto the next stage of the competition and representing Carleton on the international stage.

“I couldn’t have done it without the support of my team, as well as the professors at Carleton,” he said.

In his submission to Dyson, he stated his future plans for his extinguisher. He said he wants to adapt the extinguisher for a larger market and follow the design into production.

For now, Shurdra said he is taking time off from this project and is currently working at a design studio in Paris, where he can experiment with different products and cutting-edge technology.