Music AlbumDwelling in basement dungeons and perfecting their craft for a number of years, local metal band Barrow Wight is releasing their first official EP, Power From The East, Feb. 14.

Bandleader Andrew Newton-Evans (who also goes by Antero Newtonic-Terror Wight) said their music is influenced by black metal from the ’80s.

“Mainly Venom and Celtic Frost—there are other musical forms that worm their way into it such as goth rock, glam rock, progressive rock, Krautrock, and nationalist-romantic music,” he said via email.

Almost more interesting than their sound is the inspiration behind the band’s lyrics.

“They’re based off of Tolkien’s stories, specifically all of the bad guys he writes about,” Newton-Evans said.

Some songs in their repertoire include “Nine Horsemen,” “Anvil Of Mordor,” and “Warg Rider.” The Lord Of The Rings theme also carries over into their stage show, with the band wearing intricate costumes.

The release of the EP will kick off their tour, which will make stops in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Joining them will be New York bands Natur and Throaat, Ottawa bands Regret and Occult Burial, as well as Toronto band Possessed Steel, who are also releasing their debut EP on the tour.

“Natur is an American heavy metal band in the vein of Manilla Road, Angel Witch, and maybe a hint of Pagan Altar,” Newton-Evans said. “Throaat sort of reminds me of later day Darkthrone crossed with really horrific cavernous Death Metal, not a bad combo if you ask me.”

He said Toronto band Possessed Steel is reminiscent of “obscure American doom metal with a traditional metal edge to them.”

The tour will certainly be diverse enough to appeal to any metal fans, and Newton-Evans described it as “dark, subterranean and loud as it gets.”

Power From The East will be released exclusively on cassette, and will be available at tour stops, as well as online. But Barrow Wight is already planning for the future.

“Future plans will include probably a full length record on vinyl, with more shows, and secret shows,” Newton-Evans said.

The release date for the full-length record is expected to be some point before the end of the year.

The Ottawa stop on their tour will be at Luneta Cafe Feb. 15.