Police keeping people out of the HUB Mall at the U of Alberta after the shooting took place (Photo courtesy of Ryan Bromsgrove from The Gateway)

Near midnight, June 14/15

-Four personnel working for G4S security company are shot while working on ABMs (automated banking machines) in University of Alberta’s central Hub Mall, according to press releases from the Edmonton police. One, Matthew Shuman, is seriously wounded.  Michelle Shegelski, Brian Ilesic and Eddie Rejano are found dead.

June 15, 2:10AM

-U of A Twitter account posts this message: “#ualberta people are unharmed. HUB in lockdown–avoid the area.”

2:56 AM

-Edmonton police notify media that tactical and canine teams have been sent to investigate reports of shots fired at U of A’s HUB mall.

3:23 AM

-U of A twitter posts additional twitter message: “armoured car robbery in HUB Mall earlier. Edm Police on scene. HUB locked down. Exams & other business proceeding as scheduled.”

4:45 AM

-U of A posts online notification that the HUB Mall has been closed by Edmonton police until later that evening.

11:05 AM

-Edmonton police release this statement: “Homicide Investigators are trying to determine the whereabouts of Travis Brandon Baumgartner, 21, a G4S employee, who is believed to be one of several armoured company employees that attended the U of A around midnight today, Friday, June 15, 2012.”

“Baumgartner’s status in relation to this investigation is unknown at this time. Members of the public are urged to use extreme caution if they happen to come in to contact with Baumgartner.”

3:02 PM

-Edmonton police inform the public they have filed Canada-wide warrants for murder and attempted murder against Baumgartner.

5:07 PM

-U of A acting president, Carl Amrhein, pens statement on the University’s official blog, Colloquy@Ualberta:

“The last 24 hours, since the armed robbery and fatal shooting occurred in HUB mall, have been among the most difficult that our campus has had to face. All of us are shocked by the events and the resulting loss of life on our campus. I know that I speak for the whole university community in extending our condolences to the families and friends of the victims.”

Amrhein also says counseling is available to students and staff, and defends the University’s decision not to activate the school’s Emergency Notification System in the hours following the shooting, “because among the first notifications we received from Edmonton Police Service included information that the suspect was no longer in the area and that there was no immediate danger to people on campus…”

9:31 PM

-Travis Baumgartner’s mother, Sandy, releases a statement through the Edmonton police pleading with her son to turn himself in: “Trav’, as your mother, I ask that you come forward now and take responsibility for your actions. Please Travis, I love you.”

June 16

-Baumgartner, 21, is arrested while attempting to cross into the United States at the Lynden, Washington U.S.- Canada border, south of Abbotsford, B.C., according to a statement by Edmonton police.

June 17

-G4S establishes a trust fund for public donations to the victim’s families, according to another Amrhein blog post.  Donations can be made at any TD bank in Canada.

June 20 

-After several days of police interviews, Baumgartner is flown from Langley B.C. back to Edmonton, according to an Edmonton police statement.