Through witchcraft and manifestation, many Ottawans practice self love. [Graphic by Alisha Velji/the Charlatan]

Amidst the hustle and bustle of modern life, a growing number of Ottawans are seeking community and introspection through witchcraft.

Karen “Kiki” Keskinen, journalism professor at Carleton University and seventh-generation Celtic witch, said the desire to explore spiritual practices comes from a person’s inherent curiosity to deepen their self-awareness.

“I think that there’s intuition that is alive and well in a lot of people,” she said. “That’s what it really comes down to. It’s about giving your intuition more room to grow.”

Keskinen founded Canada’s Witch School in 2017 to teach modern witchcraft and foster a community through shared spiritual exploration. Around 300 students have graduated from the year-long program.

“By spending time in a supportive community who are going through the same thing, [Witch School students] are able to prioritize a new way of life,” she said. 

“My kind of magic isn’t pulling a rabbit out of a hat,” Keskinen added. “It’s a manifestation of love.”

Dana Simpson, an Ottawa-based journalist, identifies as an “eclectic Pagan.” In a statement to the Charlatan, Simpson said her “witchiness” took root during childhood.

“I used to make silly little “potions” out of household products as a kid and I think my parents thought I’d become a chemist,” she said. “Oh well, they got a witch for a daughter instead!”

Simpson is the administrator of the Ottawa Area Pagan Events Calendar Facebook Group. With over 1,000 members, the page was created as a platform for folks to stay in the loop about markets, celebrations and other witchy events around the city. 

“One of the most wonderful things about this community is the ability for those who are curious to be able to attend different events, read about varied histories and traditions and put the best bits together to create something uniquely [theirs],” Simpson said.

“In a way, it’s like weaving a tapestry.”

Fiona Kettle, a second-year business and law student at Carleton, said she first stumbled upon witchcraft during the pandemic on the TikTok subgenre #WitchTok. Although she does not identify as a witch, Kettle collects crystals and reads tarot cards as a way to practice self-love. 

“I’ve struggled with self-worth,” she said. “[Tarot readings] have given me a lot of confidence and made me comfortable in being able to say, ‘This is how I interpret things and this is my view and my opinion.’”

Kettle said these practices have helped her understand her queer identity and personal expression.

“I used to think I was pansexual and now I identify as bisexual,” Kettle said. “[Through my tarot readings], it feels like it’s okay to grow and change. My identity can change, and that doesn’t make it invalid.” 

Simpson said despite recent social media trends, “Witchcraft and paganism isn’t new.” 

“It’s not a trend, even if we are pretty trendy. We’re always expanding as a community.”

“I don’t mind if people find us as part of a TikTok trend. If it’s for them, they’ll feel connected and stay long behind its reign as a trend,” she said. “If it’s not, they’ll have seen a new side to the world we all share and gained some valuable knowledge along the way.”

Featured graphic by Alisha Velji/the Charlatan.